Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:13 PM   #11

Hi Steven i havent met Alex but might of seen him or yourself around the stadium without realising, most of the photos are from the stand with a few pitch side, i have 2 nikkor lensesa 18-55 f3.5-5.6and a 55-200 f4-5.6which i bought as a kit with the camera, all the shots are with the 55-200. i would be interested to know what sort of settings to use for this type of photography, i have played about a bit mixing between aperture and shutter priority but not fully manual as yet, also not sure if its better to try and get as close a crop as possible or leave a wee bit and edit ifrequired,only had the camera a couple of months so a long way to go yet!
colinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:36 PM   #12

colinl wrote:
Quote:
i would be interested to know what sort of settings to use for this type of photography, i have played about a bit mixing between aperture and shutter priority but not fully manual as yet, also not sure if its better to try and get as close a crop as possible or leave a wee bit and edit ifrequired,only had the camera a couple of months so a long way to go yet!
Colin,

I'll provide you one opinion - each photog will have their own style so opinions will vary:

1. Shoot in either Manual mode or in AV mode. Shutter priority is a poor choice because you can either run out of aperture (i.e. you're already wide open) and thus get underexposed shots OR you can have better light than expected and the camera will close down the aperture giving a greater depth of field (DOF). Greater DOF means more distracting background in your shots.

2. Here's a good rule of thumb for quality shots: Shoot tight and crop even tighter. You really don't want to frame too loosely - when you do, the focus is not as accurate and you don't have as much detail. So, while the approach of framing loose and cropping later may be OK until you get more comfortable, eventually you want to frame as tightly as possible in the first place to get more detail and better focus.

Here's a write-up I put together a while back on tips/techniques for shooting soccer. It might be of some help...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=82

And, just to show I do actually shoot soccer :G, here are some pics:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 4:41 AM   #13

Couldn't agree more with what John says. Crop as tightly as possible. This will mean being on max (200mm) for you (and me) for quite long periods of time. Then crop more if needed.

I tend to use aperture priority, but I will watch the lighting etc to make sure shutter speed doesn't go below what is needed.

The last point to make is, don't be afraid to push the ISO to expose right.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:25 PM   #14

thanks guys! next game on sunday so i will give some of your suggestion a try, if i have any success i will post them for you to have a look at Sunday evening/Monday
Old Mar 1, 2007, 4:40 PM   #15

Where is the game on sunday? I thought the next league game was in Dundee next week?

Might well pop along, as it's been a while since I've done the 19's
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:45 PM   #16

Hi steven the game on sunday is on the field turf at livingston behind that horrible fence,they are playing Montrose 12.45 ko, that boy of mine was sent home from training today with a virus but hopefully he will be fit enough to take a run up and watch the game.