Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:13 AM   #1

First time try to take sport photos... I hope I have longer lens..

Photoblog Ref:
http://hkdigit.blogspot.com/2007/02/...ania-2007.html
hkdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:16 AM   #2

Like the 2nd shot :-)

I hope you don't mind a little advice regarding the tennis shots though:

1. Backs - you need to show faces not backs. So, depending on where your seats are you just have to pick your shots.

2. Timing - in general you want to show peak action or emotion in a good sports shot. Usually that means you want the ball in the frame - the closer to impact the better. But if you don't have the ball there should be something else compelling - it could be the muscle tone of the arm or sweat flying or the expression on a face

So, next match you're at try to get faces in the shot and time the action a little better. When I'm shooting a sport I don't have a lot of experience at I typically will review shots from publications or other sports shooters to get an idea for the types of shots I like to see and that are interesting. That's really the tough part - it's not enough to have good exposure and sharp shots (and exposure, sharpness and colors are good in your shots) they have to be interesting shots. When you look at pro tennis shots or even semi-pro or advanced ameteur tennis shots you'll very rarely see a shot from the back like these. They are typically either tight on the face or showing peak action. Now, you may not have access to the same equipment those folks do - but you can still do similar style shots.

So, bottom line - I think you have the technial aspects covered you just need to work on your shot selection.

Thanks for sharing!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:28 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Like the 2nd shot :-)

I hope you don't mind a little advice regarding the tennis shots though:

1. Backs - you need to show faces not backs. So, depending on where your seats are you just have to pick your shots.

2. Timing - in general you want to show peak action or emotion in a good sports shot. Usually that means you want the ball in the frame - the closer to impact the better. But if you don't have the ball there should be something else compelling - it could be the muscle tone of the arm or sweat flying or the expression on a face

So, next match you're at try to get faces in the shot and time the action a little better. When I'm shooting a sport I don't have a lot of experience at I typically will review shots from publications or other sports shooters to get an idea for the types of shots I like to see and that are interesting. That's really the tough part - it's not enough to have good exposure and sharp shots (and exposure, sharpness and colors are good in your shots) they have to be interesting shots. When you look at pro tennis shots or even semi-pro or advanced ameteur tennis shots you'll very rarely see a shot from the back like these. They are typically either tight on the face or showing peak action. Now, you may not have access to the same equipment those folks do - but you can still do similar style shots.

So, bottom line - I think you have the technial aspects covered you just need to work on your shot selection.

Thanks for sharing!
Great Thanks for your advice.. my next lens will traget to 70-200 2.8L :-)
hkdigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 6:54 PM   #4

I like the 2nd photo. I know when I was cover highschool and College football for the local paper. I used to look for shots in the stands!
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote