Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:58 AM   #1

Well, the Grizzlies were ranked #1 in the district - but I think they took the competition lightly. They fell behind early.

They hustled in the 2nd half....

Got down and dirty and fought hard...

But came up on the losing end...

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:09 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Nice work John, I love 1 and 3. They really don't look happy at the end though, our Volleyball team were similar yesterday.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:05 PM   #3
Administrator

Great images John. My favorite's number 2. I love the intensity of that girl's expression and the composition is perfect.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 7:27 PM   #4

Very nice as usual!

Two questions though:

1. Was the girl in photo #2 saving a ball from going out-of-bounds??

2. Was the last photo taken with the same lense...at the same settings? The DOF seems much "deeper".
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:46 AM   #5

Thanks all.

Jim - yep, I like 2 as well. I love the intensity. I had some similar shots of people going up for layup but because their head was turned up it was a bit too bright so I didn't like the result.

Photodad,

Yes she was saving the ball from going out of bounds.

The last shot was with the same lens but different settings - I closed down the aperture since it wasn't action and I wanted to get the girls in focus.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:27 PM   #6

Thanks for posting recent pics. It helps me to see examples ofthe tipsyou generously share with us. Great shots! Were you using your 85mm? You captured some terrific facial expressions.

Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:16 PM   #7

Thanks Trique Daddi,

Yes I used the 85. I was excited that the next game was going to be at a college gym and was looking forward to being able to use my 70-200 2.8. But the team I covered lost so too bad for me

And yes, I like to practice what I preach, so to speak. I always find it interesting that people on various websites have lots of advice on HOW to photograph but never show examples of what they're talking about.

And, let's face it - I'm still learning too. So I post to get feedback from others. There's no single right way to do things. So having other people's viewpoints is beneficial. Even if people aren't sports shooters or don't shoot a given sport - we're all photographers and there is often something we like or don't like about a photo. So even if a person can't tell me how to fix something, it's also valuable just to hear they don't like something about one (or all) of my photos.

It's also why I think some people dislike some of my criticisms - I don't believe in patting people on the back and saying 'great shot' even if I think it's not. While I try to temper my reviews with the photographer's experience level I still try to provide constructive criticism and appreciate the same from others. That's how we all get better. If we don't know we're doing something wrong we just keep on doing it. And, honestly - 'wrong' is very subjective too. I'm not a pro, I don't work for SI so my opinion is just that of a hobbyist. I always try to include photos and post my own work so people can judge for themselves how much weight to give to my opinion.

Thanks for your kind words! And, happy shooting!!
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:27 AM   #8

Hi John, all of these are great shots. I envy the sharpness you obtain with your photos. I'm still practicing.

A little off topic...in a VB thread you mentioned that you took shots through the net and some at the side of the net and wondered which the parents would prefer. I was wondering which they preferred?

Thanks

Angela
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 6:19 AM   #9

Seem to prefer clean faces - so over the net is fine (i.e. either player getting high for kill or block or presumably shooting down over the net for lower jumpers or from side). The key being they want their kid easily recognizable.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:10 AM   #10
spy

I always enjoy looking at your shots. These are spot on again. I like the expression in #1 thats saying "..hey, you weren't suppose to get by me!!"
spy is offline   Reply With Quote