Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:23 PM   #1

I did some kid hockey shots this Sunday morning again . I did jack up the shutter to 1/200s majority of them and freeze the action a bit better with clear view (and not through that blurry shield). But all done through a very confining little gap of 3 inches and Pentax FA135mmF2.8.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:46 PM   #2

Daniel,

Exposure looks pretty good on these.

The last is the most interesting to me because I can see a face in it - but the framing is much too wide on this and the other shots. If this last were framed tight to the 2 defenders I think it would be much more effective. Try to either use more zoom, get closer or wait until the action gets closer to you so you can fill more of the frame. It can be tough to resist the urge to either shoot wide so you don't miss anything or shoot when the action is too far away - but you need to try.

Also, watch your horizons - 1 thru 4 all appear to have a tilt to them - but that's easily fixed in post processing, so no worries there.

Tjhanks for sharing - we don't get many hockey posts. I think if you just shoot a little tighter next time you'll have some great shots

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:48 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Daniel,

Exposure looks pretty good on these.

The last is the most interesting to me because I can see a face in it - but the framing is much too wide on this and the other shots.¬* If this last were framed tight to the 2 defenders I think it would be much more effective.¬* Try to either use more zoom, get closer or wait until the action gets closer to you so you can fill more of the frame.¬* It can be tough to resist the urge to either shoot wide so you don't miss anything or shoot when the action is¬* too far away - but you need to try.¬*

Also, watch your horizons - 1 thru 4 all appear to have a tilt to them - but that's easily fixed in post processing, so no worries there.

Tjhanks for sharing - we don't get many hockey posts.¬* I think if you just shoot a little tighter next time you'll have some great shots

¬*
John

Thanks for looking and sharing your view. I do agree with your comment.
Now I am learning and I know why very few people shoot hockey.
Lighting situation not ideal. Action superfast and faster than other sport. Plexiglass all around rink for protection or insurance claim resulting in me shooting between the gap of plexipanel (of say 2 inches.) The alternative is to shoot behind dirty plexiglass panel. The fact that I have to shoot behind a small gap severely limited my movement.
To tell you the truth , the gap does not even allow a large zoom of size over 52mm which is the filter size of my Pentax FA135mm2.8 (the fastest mid tele prime of Pentax camp). I do not think the famous 70-200L zoom of Canon (nor the same one of Nikon) can get through the gap.
Off the hockey rink, I can zoom with my feet.
It is a popular game yet with very few shots posted. These are I believe the reason.

Daniel, Toronto

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:53 PM   #4

that was great lighting compared to what i have been working in!

great pics!!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote