Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1

Here's my 2nd attempt at girls volleyball. Unfortunately this was the championship game so I won't get any more VB practice :sad:. This gym didn't have the cycling lights which was nice. I used auto WB, 85mm lens. How did I do this time out? Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Angela

afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:28 AM   #2

some excellent shots here! REALLY love the last pic, as well as 5, 9 and 10. Hard to believe you didn't set these shots up as poses, because they're really quite extraordinary.
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps wrote:
Quote:
some excellent shots here! REALLY love the last pic, as well as 5, 9 and 10. Hard to believe you didn't set these shots up as poses, because they're really quite extraordinary.
Thanks . The last 2 pics are a couple of my fave's. I was much happier with my results the 2nd time out. JohnG is a good teacher .

angela
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:03 PM   #4

Angela,

Nice job. You're really starting to get the hang of this. Looks like you caught some good action. Sharpness is difficult to tell on these because of size and I think there are some artifacts from re-sizing (particularly in picture 4) which I'm sure aren't present in the originals. Still, these look good. And, most important, you're happy with the results.

All that being said, that last shot is the most bizzare set I've ever seen - I've never seen a girl jump like that BEFORE the set. Cool picture though
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:01 PM   #5

Angela,

Nice job! The timing is very good and you have cut the dead space of of the photos. It is hard to tell about the sharpness like John said. Did you do alot of cropping or did you frame the pictures pretty much as we see them? Tighter framing seems to make for sharper pictures.

Chris
PhotoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:01 AM   #6

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Angela,

Nice job. You're really starting to get the hang of this. Looks like you caught some good action. Sharpness is difficult to tell on these because of size and I think there are some artifacts from re-sizing (particularly in picture 4) which I'm sure aren't present in the originals. Still, these look good. And, most important, you're happy with the results.

All that being said, that last shot is the most bizzare set I've ever seen - I've never seen a girl jump like that BEFORE the set. Cool picture though
Thanks for the feedback John. I really admire your work and am trying to learn as much as possible from it. You're such a great help on this forum.

Angela
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:03 AM   #7

PhotoDad wrote:
Quote:
Angela,

Nice job! The timing is very good and you have cut the dead space of of the photos. It is hard to tell about the sharpness like John said. Did you do alot of cropping or did you frame the pictures pretty much as we see them? Tighter framing seems to make for sharper pictures.

Chris
Hi Chris.

Thanks for the feedback. I did do some cropping to cut out the dead space. I'm new to the sports/action photography and know nothing about VB. I wish I could have framed tighter initially but I'm just concentrating on getting the action :?. After I get the hang of that I will definately do as you said and frame tighter.

Angela
Old Mar 9, 2007, 8:15 AM   #8

The last shot (#11) is a gem. Having attempted some of this myself this is not easy especially when you don't have access to a bazooka lens and industrial flash equipment to overcome some of the marginal lighting in the gyms.

What sort of camera settings were you using?

Thanks for sharing.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote