Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:44 PM   #1

Hi...not sure which forum to post this too...starting here.

I'm looking for 2 things:

1) some examples of sports photo collages

2) tutorials for making them

I have pse4 and ps7 (not currently loaded in pc)

I've used the books I have tried the directions there. Results are "okay" but I can't seem to put the photos "anywhere" I want. Seems that the translucent borders only work on one side and that leaves out moving a photo away from the edge of the background photo or using a shorter/narrower image as well.

I'm sure this is not at all clear...I've confused myself. If anyone can answer Questions 1 and 2....I'll start there!

Thanks,

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2

The following link shows a good example of how to make a collage (not sports specific, though).

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photos...age/index.html

If you want examples of sports collages, google the term and you'll get lots of links with examples. You can also go to other forums (i.e. fredmiranda.com) and look in the sports forum for posts. The FM forum has some great examples of people working their way through sports posters and collages.

I've been doing a few for my son's hockey team; they can take alot of time and patience but are a great way to learn how to use Photoshop.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:34 PM   #3

Hello Becky,

Here is a sample of a collage, and you can go to the gallery with photo art and see some other creations.

www.inthezonephotos.com

The one on the front page took several hours to do, but it depends on how detailed you want to get. Some of the ones in the Photo art Gallery didn't take too long, but it was just getting the right shot to fit with the others.

Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I did some more research and found a couple of suggested books (one out of print) that I have purchased to try to get by some of my problems with 'edges' not blending to my satisfaction. I really like that seamless look.

I also had a look at Jeff's stuff and see that if I go for a defined border on the smaller pictures...that works too.

Thanks for the help!

Becky
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:40 PM   #5

Here is was one that I did. It's a team collage done in PS.

stoltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6

One thing I would recommend, if you haven't already discovered this, is learn how to use layer masks instead of erasing the edges. A mask will give you the same look, but the whole photo is still there in case you decide to do something different. Masks also enable you to use the gradient tool, which can give you some really nice, smooth fades.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:44 AM   #7

tmilner

thanks for the advice.

Yes, I have been using layer masks. My problem is with using gradient tool...if the picture is smaller on more than one side than the background picture...I can only "fade" one edge. The other edges just turn the background dark.... I know there is a way around this....I just haven't found it yet.

Becky