Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:15 PM   #1

This is where my daughter goes twice a week.. All the year in open air trainng.. track and field athletics.. I made this shot while waiting for her to arrive.. [line][line]
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:32 PM   #2

Digitalgal,

welcome to the sports forum.

IMO, there are times when motion blur adds to a photo, but I don't think this is one of them. Also, the light on top of the building is WAY too distracting.

Of minor import is the lens flare at the bottom left but that's easily correctable. But the light and the motion blur keep this from being an effectivve photo in my opinion. There is no EXIF information attached to the photo so I can't see what the camera or settings were.

But my suggestion would be to decide whether you want the structure in the background as part of the image or not - if so, is the light directional? IE would you have gotten the same blow-out regardless of the angle you took the shot at? If that's the case, then I'd say what you need to do is use about 2-3 stops less exposure and rely on flash to expose the runners. If you don't care about the structure, then frame tighter and use a faster shutter speed to eliminate or at least reduce the motion blur.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 5:11 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I partly agree and partly disagree with John in this situation. The background lights are overpowering however I like the motion blur in this one but would suggest a crop just on the runners so you have room for about half a person in height above and below and room for another runner either side. I've given it a quick try and it makes a nice looking image.

Oh and welcome to the sports section..... looking forward to seeing more shots from you.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:43 AM   #4

Thank you, guys.. It is hard to follow your instructions.. I have used sony DSC-V1.. no speacial controls available.. this pic contains all the things that my camera is not able to handle sufficiently - low light, motion, and zoom.. So I get pics like this one very rare.. That evening I had to wait for Renate 5 minutes longer.. and not to get bored I have tried to get some shots.. [line]Here I ll add another pic.. One of my very first shots at all.. I think it was one of the first days after I got it..

[line]My hubby and his friends playing beach volley.. I was waiting under the net.. .. a pic of 2004..
Attached Images

DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote