Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Super Moderator

For those who want to know if this is working better than the last 120-300mm f2.8 the answer is YES!!! I'm so plesaed as I was totally fed up last week when I got the lens and it just was not sharp. This is spot on, AF is faster than the 70-200mm f2.8 and it is such a joy to use.

I was on the way back from picking up the replacement and noticed a woman walking along with a hockey stick so decided to try and find where the match was and I was successful. I didn't expect to see any hockey as the main season is basically over however this was a friendly between a mixed team and a ladies team. I'm not 100% sure who the teams were as it was about 25 miles from where I usually shoot but one of the guys is going to email me with details so will know more then.

Anyway here are some shots with my 'lovely' Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 on Canon 30D. All shot at f2.8 and exif should be still there.

Sorry if the exposure etc is not quite right as I was so excited I'm on my parents PC as I've not made it home yet and wanted to share.

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:31 PM   #2

lovely sharp shots Mark,must have missed a few postings?? didn't know there was a problem with your lens!!, i read that you thoughtfocusing wasn't as fast but thats all. Glad you've got a new one though!, can't help thinking though that not all buyers of the lens are as genned up on Quality ofphotography as yourself, so how many others are just ("putting up with the slowness of there lens??). Kind regards Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:39 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Graham,

If it had just been the slow focus then possibly but I didn't go into more detail. I think most people would have noticed that less than 5% of the shots they took with the lens were in focus where as the new one is nailing over 50% which allowing for the speed of hockey and that I often try to grab the shot that I have just swung onto rather than allowing the AI Servo to get a 'lock' is pretty impressive. The old lens was a 2nd hand one sold through the shop I use which was going to save me £300 ($600) but looks like they had traded in a duff one. After using it a bit more it was also losing the ability to focus at all so it was becoming obvious there were quite serious problems with it.

Anyway that was in the past and as you can tell the new one is lovely to use so I'm happy again. Just looking forward to getting out again and using it.

Sigma have done a cracking job with this lens and as JohnG will testify I'm a bit of a pixel peeper and like things to be just right and this lens keeps even me happy (and so far I've only used f2.8 so stopping down can only be better)!!!

Mark
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:06 PM   #4

hi mark, these are awsome pictures.
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:08 PM   #5
spy

Yes Mark, that is a very nice lens and I'm glad to see you now have it. These pictures are very good.

I have to ask,...for those big ticket items that we all want as sports photographers, was it a toss up between getting this lens or purchasing the new Mark 4, ISO 6400, 10fps camera?

I thought I was pretty sure to get the 120 - 300lens but that Mark 4 is making that decission very, VERY difficult for me.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:26 PM   #6
Super Moderator

For me shooting field sports it was a no brain-er as I needed the range and the brightness of f2.8. The Mark 4 is stunning and one day would love to have one however it would take me from a 1.6x crop to 1.3x meaning my current lenses (which are not really long enough) would appear even shorter. Getting the improved ISO performance, doubling continuous shot speed and getting better AF to name a few would be nice but the results would not be improved as much as by getting the better glass. Not sure of the cost of each over there but here the lens is half the price of the camera so could not justify that sort of expense for the moment.
Old May 10, 2007, 7:08 PM   #7

mark maybe it is just me... but it seems 1-3 are a little overexposed?:?
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 3:41 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Hi Matthew, during PP I did boost the levels to get a 'better' exposure for the faces but probably should have done some selective dodging!
Old May 12, 2007, 2:10 AM   #9

no questions about it..awesome lens.

right at f2.8 at 300mm...the bokeh from this lens is one of the best i ave seen. U shud try it on a FF. its making me think abt selling the 1D and hold on to the 5D.

I want the Weather seal and AF..but after the pictures i am getting with the 5D and 120-300, i just dont feel like selling the 5D. Instead i am more leaning towards selling the Mark II, and just get either a XTI or a used 20D or 30D.

5D and 120-300 are awesome pair
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 8:14 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I'm looking at getting a 5D as hope to start doing more wedding and portrait work so that is the choice for me and keep the 30D for sports etc. When I have more cash I will add a 1D mark III to the setup.