Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 24, 2007, 3:11 PM   #1

Hi, this is my first football match using a digital slr camera. My keep rate is pretty low at around 40%, but i am buying a muchfaster lens in the summer so hopefull this will improve.All C&C welcome but not necessarily appreciated. LOL :lol:.

and finally.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Graham, you have great timing and have captured some good action here and I specifically number 2. There are a couple of easy ways that will really help improve your shots next time out. Firstly straighten up your work in PP and also try to shoot from a lower vantage point. I either go for kneeling or where possible sitting on the ground or alow stool.

Oh and a keep rate of 40% in sports is very good. Depending on what the work is being used for my keep rate is up to about 50% in that 50% are in focus and have the player in the shot doing something reasonably interesting so they might buy it. However for newspaper work it is probably only 2-5% of them that I would be happy to send in to the sports desk. I know people who are staff shooters (they work for newspapers) and they shoot far less shots at a match as they only want to get one or 2 in their paper so don't need to take as many. I will usually take a 150+ at a game once I have sorted them out I will have shots of all of the players so they can purchase them.

Edit, forgot to ask, with the 5th one did you try to pull back a shot that was quite out of focus or did you apply too much unsharp mask it is looks over processed.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:48 AM   #3

Thank you for your comments and advice Mark, How do i straighten up shots in p&p? ( i use photoshop cs).Yes#5 is the result of overzealous usm :roll:. Kind regards Graham
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:18 AM   #4

Graham,

Really nice series - especially for your first time. Good timing. I would also add to watch your exposure - a tad overexposed in a couple shots. Again something you might try to address with some burning.

As for straitening using CS, the crop tool allows you to rotate as well - once the crop is drawn you can put the mouse over the corner and drag to rotate. Use vertical or horizontal lines in the photo as your guide (hint, when ground is uneven, vertical lines are more reliable for doing this).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:03 PM   #5

Thank you for your input John, i should perhaps clarify that my photoshop version is CS2 !! sorry!, i don't know if this makes a difference, but i have tried your advise via the crop icon but i cannot rotate it on the corner it just wants to alter the border line:?, i guess i'm doing something wrong!!. Kind regards Graham
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:38 PM   #6

first two are very good and last one also.......i like action shots

as for the leveling its possible to do two ways, like mentioned with crop tool, 3rd down left side on tool pallet, select and drag to cover the are u want then hold mouse not over a corner but slightly away and icon changes to a curved arrow indicating u can turn the crop frame

other way is to free transform, same idea hold mouse slightly off corner the turn it till horizon is level, then just crop your image back to square as sides of pic will be crooked now

i use second methord if im wanting to keep as much as possible of the shot

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:42 PM   #7

ps 40% keep rate is high..........!!

or i must just take so many more shots LOL, took about 50 of some jets landing.......just keeping fireing and panning.......about 6 are good enough to keep.

wayi look at it is i dont mind filling a card to get a couple of excellent shots

with footy, i have shot some of lad playing and when action is about to occure i just keep shooting till its over hoping to have caught some good shots

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote