Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:53 AM   #1

This is not a particularly good shot from last night's match and one I probably would have discarded because of excessive motion blur, had it not been for the unusual timing of the shot. We started the night at ISO 1600, but poor lighting ran the shutter speed down to 1/50th on this shot. That forced us to go on up to ISO 3200 for the rest of the night.

(Camera Fuji s6000d)

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:54 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:56 AM   #3

Did an experiment with the old Olympus C-750 and a cheap teleconverter for the girls' match. This was taken as dusk was beginning to darken the field, with the lens at full zoom and a 2.5 teleconverter....ISO 200.
Attached Images

Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:30 PM   #4

Actually, IMO, the first shot is the best of the 3. The other two have way too much damage from the high ISOs (although the last one didn't have high ISO - so I'm not sure why the image is as corrupt as it is). This one does as well, but it's still an interesting shot because of the symmetry.

A real shame you don't have any day games - do they play on Saturday mornings/afternoons at all?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:39 PM   #5

The normal start time for matches in our league is 5:30 for girls and 7:30 for boys. We routinely have 1-2 hour bus trips and occasionally as long as three hours (try to schedule those on Friday nights.) Most of us play in football stadiums that have from poor to average lighting. When we play on a dedicated, lighted soccer field, the lights are universally bad. My manager who does most of the shooting travels with the boys team, so we typically get there as daylight is fading near the start of the second half of the girls game.When we get there early enough, we have some good light for the girls (and occasionally, if my boys are behaving themselves in the stands, I get to sneak down and shoot a little during the girls, if the manager will give up what she sees as "her" camera, lol)

The Olympus that was used on the girls' shot is my old one, and I was doing an experiment with it. Top ISO is only 400 and it is inherently noisy at anything less than optimum lighting conditions.We were using a cheap telephoto and I think what it magnified most was the flaws. I thought it was a good action capture, but there were definitely problems.