Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:03 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi all,

Just back from working away and at the weekend I manged to get to an International Invitational Youth Field Hockey event. Even though I signed in as press I was not able to get onto the sidelines as the official photographer for England Hockey had manged to get the whole event locked down so this meant I was shooting from higher than normal (usually I sit on a stool or the ground). This meant the angles are not as nice but still there was some good action.

These are from the U16 England v Spain and the Netherlands v Germany games. I will post some of the U18 and U21 games when I get a chance to edit them.

As ever and C&C welcome.

Canon 30D with Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 (some use of 1.4x telecon).

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2

As always, a job well done Mark! Awesome timing, great clarity and nicely cropped. My only question which if Im not mistaken youve answered previously, would be about #s 7 and 8 and the distraction of the arms and legs. Would you mind repeating as to why they werent cropped out?
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Super Moderator

DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
As always, a job well done Mark! Awesome timing, great clarity and nicely cropped. My only question which if Im not mistaken youve answered previously, would be about #s 7 and 8 and the distraction of the arms and legs. Would you mind repeating as to why they werent cropped out?
Thanks.

Not a problem to answer.... with #8 there is simply not enough photo to crop with as all the work for sale is at 3:2 ratio and this shot is almost 100% original size. With #7 I really don't know why I missed this, probably brain was going as I did the editing quite late at night as I had hundreds to go through and just didn't see it.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:17 AM   #4

Not trying to beat a dead horse but am I correct in understanding that you would sell that photo the way it is? What if the client inquired about having it cropped? Im trying to understand resizing so excuse the dumb question but that photo couldnt be trimmed in all directions and still maintain a 3:2 crop?:?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:18 AM   #5

I guess the feet would be cut off if that were to happen, right?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Yep with that one it would be feet or head (not sure which is worse LOL). With the other one then it would be an easy edit to leave the German and Dutch players without the Umpire getting in the way.

I'm really trying harder and harder each shoot to get the photo as close to final straight out of the camera as this will give me the best photo quality (more pixels left) and reduce editing time. The downside as can be seen is that the amount of cropping available is reduced. Personally I don't like to crop to below 3000 pixels along the longest side as this still leaves a 6mp image to print.

If the client did want it cropped (very rare anyone askes for anything apart from what is published) the I would suggest it be printed as a 10 x 8 which would solve the problem. I've standardised all my available print sizes at 3:2 so people see what they are getting. The only one that differs is A4 however it is very close so no really issue.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:20 PM   #7

Thanks for the clarification! In fact, Ive been more conscious of that same thing myself now that I worry about how the final pic will be sized. Getting real close and watching all the extraneous peripherals. One more question and I'll end this highjack! How large of a print do you feel comfortablewith using a 6MP photo?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:22 PM   #8

Great shots Mark i don't know what DRGSin is enquiring about??., they look perfecttly exposed with Very sharp focusing!!, and on the whole very good framing?, you could lose the umpire but it's clearly a hockey game !, so why exclude any relevent detail? Pesonally only #8 has an error ,in cropping only!! as a pesonal sale! as sports pics there great (except #4):sad:LOL. Kind regards Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:45 PM   #9

bluesman graham wrote:
Quote:
Great shots Mark i don't know what DRGSin is enquiring about??., they look perfecttly exposed with Very sharp focusing!!, and on the whole very good framing?, you could lose the umpire but it's clearly a hockey game !, so why exclude any relevent detail? Pesonally only #8 has an error ,in cropping only!! as a pesonal sale! as sports pics there great (except #4):sad:LOL. Kind regards Graham
Ive come to expect great exposure and sharp focusing from Mark so I never questioned that. I was inquiring about #8 where you see an arm, half a leg and half a head. As far as the ump yopu only see a black "mass" in the foreground which can be distracting. Besides,my intent was to learn about cropping as it relates to sizing and seized the opportunity that his 2 pics presented.I sure do hope i wasnt taken the wrong way by my questioning!
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:38 PM   #10
Super Moderator

DRG, for print size I have had good results at 30" by 20" as long as the original is good and then with some interpolation making it 4500 x 3000 pixels. This gives 150 dpi which although not huge for the distance a shot like this is viewed from there are not problems. I usually look to get 200 dpi or over for 'normal' sizes but it is not an issue as the larger the shot the further it is viewed from.

I didn't take any comments the wrong way and it is good for all of us to be picked up on possible errors that is the way we get better each time we shoot/edit our work. I post here for 2 reasons, one to help others increase their knowledge/skill and also for me to become the best I can in my chosen 'field' (pardon the pun).