Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:33 AM   #11
Super Moderator

I'm not in the US but I believe you would need written permission for using the shots, as for needing to pay them probably not but giving them a 10 x 8 print of the said child might help :G
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:07 PM   #12

Mark, you andI think alike! Ive already buttered them up by passing out a couple of 8x10s!Sorry about high jacking your thread! I just realized this.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:06 PM   #13
Super Moderator

LOL don't worry about that, you have probably read enough of my posts to realise my motivation is to learn and to assist other people so glad to have been able to help out!
Old May 2, 2007, 2:42 PM   #14

While trying toput this gig together, another issue has come up.
Can anyone shed some light on what the legal issues would be in the following scenario. I photographed my son's football team last year for whichI received no reimbursement. In taking pics of the various players on his team, inevitably the opposing team players were in the shots. I havent or have no intention of selling those photos but would like to use it as an example of my work on the website. Do I have to get written/verbal permission of each player in the shot?
Old May 2, 2007, 2:52 PM   #15

I would advise you to find a local attorney to get the answer. This is a tricky situation. In the past, you needed a model release to use a person's image in a commercial advertising effort. I'm honestly not sure where displaying the images as advertisement on your site falls in.

I'll be honest - on the banner of my website I have some kids that I did not obtain a model release from. Im not selling the images and I'm not using them in any commercial / advertising way - other than by simply appearing on my site they tend to advertise my work. But, for all I know I am technically violating some law. You'll find this thing debated all over the place in photography forums. And there are a lot of opinions - but quite honestly the opinion of other photogs doesn't matter. What matters is the laws in your state & municipality (which may be completely different than my state's laws). So my advice would be to consult a local attorney. Or start with a local studio - they may be able to advise you who to contact to find out for sure (assuming they don't think of you as a competitor :G).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:08 PM   #16
Super Moderator

It is such a pain isn't it trying to get a clear 'picture' of what we are and aren't allowed to do. I'm sure the recent case with Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas with OK magazine against Hello! (if you have not seen the story have a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...iz/2720543.stmwhich covers some of it and you can Google a load more) will also have some affect on the future of photography.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:39 PM   #17

Wow, what a mess with that case! I must admit I hadnt heard of it. I shot a high school tournament baseball game last week and was "allowed" tobe on the field right by the dug outs. The very next day, photographing 11 yr olds, I was kicked out beyond the chain link fences. Go figure!
Old May 8, 2007, 4:00 PM   #18
Super Moderator

It is crazy, but I guess that there are people out there (and possibly some here - you never know) who should not be around children..... however most of the time it is fine and people are missing out by not getting quality photos of their children/families etc.