Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

It was such a lovely day I had to get out and shoot something but was not sure what as there was no motorsport (can't wait as that starts next week), hockey is over as is rugby so decided to pop to one of the local cricket teams.

I have not shot cricket before so was not sure where would be best but fortunately one of the local freelance photographers plays for the team so he pointed out a favoured spot so I set up camp for a couple of hours.

I was shooting with Canon 30D, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and Sigma 2x telecon (got it today) to replace my teleplus 2x as I wanted better quality. I was inhibited by the distances that I was shooting over so decided stopping down a little would help but as you can see the background is more distracting that I would like.

As ever the exif is there for full details on the shots and let me know what you think.

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:30 AM   #2

Well done Mark, once again. Im having a hard time picking a fav. I love the whole scenario...I had nothing going on soI decided to try shooting a cricket match. Very inspiring. One question, in pic #5 ..how complicated would it be to lighten up his face and not blow out the beautiful whites? What software do you use for your post processing, if I may ask. One last question, hope you dont mind. At this particular event,did you make the players, or spectators aware that your pics would be available for purchase? Ive often shot other players while I wait for my sons' games and have come up with some nice shots but have been reluctant to approach parents. Any tips/suggestions?
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks, as you can tell I don't like having nothing to do so always make the most of a free day.... it's the start of the motor sport season this week (well the portion I cover) so I'm looking forward to that and hoping I get good weather.

As you have noticed the shadows are a pain as the sun was very strong and in number 5 it is even harder as the player was one of the Indians who play for the team so he had a lot darker skin to start with. I could have dodge the face a little and that would help but there it not ahuge amount of detail there anyway. I use Paintshop Pro X as I can't justify the cost of Photoshop and it does not do a huge amount more and I like to keep everything legal.

When it comes to selling work let's take this weekend as an example. When I had decided to go and shoot the cricket I found a committee member and asked them if it would be OK to shoot as they have their own grounds and didn't just want to walk in there with camera in hand and start shooting. I also asked about selling work and found that one of the players (the guy in pic 3) is a pro news photog and sometimes covers the first teams games so I had a chat with him to ensure that I would not be treading on toes etc and he was find and very helpful as he gave me advice where to position myself to get the best angles. If you are already at an event such as you with when you are already at an event then as long as you are happy with the results (these cricket ones will not be going on as I'm not yet happy with what I'm getting and seemed to be getting a back focus over these distances - the further away the subject the weaker the focus will be) then I would put them on a website for the parents to view and select from. I would make sure that there are no rules at the events you are at about putting shots of players on websites and then you will be fine.

I would suggest making some business cards as well to have with you.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:35 PM   #4

As always, youve been a great help Mark. Im also going to look into getting a simple website going so that I can direct people to it.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:12 PM   #5
Super Moderator

You are welcome. There are a few options out there. I personally make and run my own site using a program called BreezeBrowser Pro which is great and I then have full control over everything going on, JohnG and others use SmugMug which I think works well and if you ask the question there are probably other options too.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:25 AM   #6

Yep,

As Mark mentioned I use smugmug. It costs $150 per year and they take 15% of the profits. But they provide me unlimited storage space, good interfaces, outstanding customer service - I mean really outstanding, plus they handle my cash register and printing / shipping. They also have a watermarking feature - so you can upload full size images and have watermark automatically applied to VIEWABLE images. So, you don't need to maintain two sets of image files - one with your watermark and one without. Or, if you're really paranoid they have an option that allows delayed processing. So you only upload small-res images and when an order is placed you get notified and can upload a larger res image for printing. Also you have access to HTML and CSS code so you can tweak your site however you want - but you get the benefit of their navigation and image sizes / slideshow and you can even use their themes. So you can customize as little or as much as you like.

But at $150 that's a pretty big investment if you're not sure how much you'll be selling. If you do decide, you can always use my coupon code and get $5 off (ok that's pretty paltry for the pro account - it sounds much better for folks paying $30 for the standard accountn) - Here's my code: dE6BAUtrgu2DU (I get $10 off my renewel in the interests of full disclosure when people use my code). It definitely isn't the model for everyone - some people just want a hosted site, others want a cash register and others want full service through printing and delivery.

Here's my site: www.jagsportsphotos.com

Oh and they have a forum like this as well as a q/a, customization and pro sales support and a business forum at www.dgrin.com - check out that site - some very useful stuff there.

It really comes down to what services you are looking for. Yep it sucks to lose the 15% but for me - I didn't want to deal with cash register and printing / distribution of photos.

Another option is photoreflect. I can't remember their model - if they handle printing/distribution or just site and cash register.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:07 PM   #7

Thanks John, appreciate the info. Nice site by the way. As far as printing is concerned...How does that work? You upload the sample photos and the originals, client chooses, then at check out an order is placed with smug mug,smug mugprints the orderand mails it to the client?? Surely it cant be that simple! Mark, does your site work the same way?
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:16 PM   #8

Printing for smugmug:

Hey - buy one of my photos and find out

Just kidding!

I don't bother with low res images. I only upload full res images and use the watermark to protect them - but I disable large and original size from view - so people can only see thumbnail, small or medium size.

When a customer purchases a photo it goes in their cart (just like buying from any on-line vendor). When they click the final OK, smugmug sends the actual printing order to EZPRINTS.COM who does the actual printing and shipping. The customer gets an email from smugmug confirming the order and I get an email notifying me an order has been placed. Right now I get the name and email address of every customer - smugmug doesn't provide phone or address info. It's something they're debating but haven't decided to do yet.

I choose what types of prints I will offer and set the prices I want.

Smugmug pays you out monthly if you have over $400 owed, otherwise quarterly. Although you can request a check sooner and they'll print it with the next month's checks.

There are two real desires that I and other customers want that smugmug currently doesn't offer:

1. Packages

2. Discount coupons. To accomplish this - if I want to give someone a discount I have to create a private gallery and change the price in that gallery. It's a pain because they have to tell me what photos to include etc. But I could see this being a tough nut to crack from Smugmug's perspective.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:06 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Nope my site doesn't work in the same way as John's.

My work flow from the time of returning home after a shoot is correct shots for horizon, exposure/levels etc and that's it. Then they go into BreezeBrowser Pro which will create all the HTML from the settings given including adding the purchase options, creates a small thumbnail and the image to be viewed (generally no larger than 550 pixels). All in all I then only need to upload a small amount of info (generally less than 2mb per complete shoot). When someone orders I get notification of what has been ordered (all photos are given a specific name by me so they are easy to find), I then will do a more detailed edit if needed to give a high quality print to the customer, and load the shots ordered to photobox.co.uk who then print and send the shots to the customer. I personally like doing it this way as I don't have to be as careful with the edits until ordered and then depending on the size I can do more or less work as needed. For example whensomeone orders a 15" x 10" shot I sometimes need to increase the image size and when I've been shooting at higher ISO I like to ensure the final result is of high quality.

Not sure which is best but for me this works well and allows me to do minimal work until the shots are ordered.

Nope that helps.

Mark
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:20 AM   #10

Thanks for the info guys. Two different ways that both make sense. I need to really figure out my needs right now. My goal as of now would be to do a small amt of post processing, level crop, etc... and do the rest once the print is ordered. One question for everyone...Part of my Home page will include pictures Ive taken.Although my sons have provided me with an abundance of material, I need to get other kids' faces on there. Where do I stand from a legal standpoint if I were to usethe picture I took ofsomeone else's son/daughter on the website? I assume I need the parents' permission. Will I have to reimburse them for it? Thanks in advance for your comments.