Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:00 PM   #1

I've shot a few other times...but still pretty wet behind the ears. The ball did come out a bit blurry in this photo but I don't think it will get any better with my equipment. I have some other photos that I'll add to this as I have time. They are all taken with my Oly e500

mctrees02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:21 PM   #2

Glad to see some more pots here!!

Nice photo. The ball blur isn't that big of an issue. You had nice timing - got sand and ball in the frame which is great. The only 2 suggestions I have for next time are:

1. Watch your exposure - this looksabout 2/3 stopoverexposed - you're doomed by the bright sun to have some hot spots but I think if you use less exposure and maybe dodge the face a little in PP (if there are shadows) you'll get a better end result.

2. Framing. I love the overall composition - the only issue is the action is at the extreme bottom of the frame with a lot of dead space at the top. Think rule of thirds - because you can predict the action in this type of shot, frame your shot a bit lower (or wider) so the point of impact & sand are about 1/3 of the way up the frame.

By the way - how did you do the signature? If you don't mind me asking.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 3:24 PM   #3

I haven't done any PP on the photo yet...I'll work on the face this weekend when I have a chance. I did crop the photo (here's a re-sized original http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4462/p1013120iu9.jpg ) so I can play with that and the framing some more. For the sig, I wrote my name with a thick ink pin on a white piece of paper...taped it to the wall...took a picture of it (with my 45:150 mm lens cuz I left my smaller ones at home haha) and then cropped it and did some color adjustments to get it to a true b&w look.

So to clarify on the crop, you think I should crop the picture to include more of the sand below the shot instead of the grass above the shot?

Old Apr 27, 2007, 3:37 PM   #4

here's another shot at this picture. Only difference is I cropped it differently and sharpened it up a bit.

Old Apr 28, 2007, 5:28 PM   #5

mctrees02 wrote:
Quote:
here's another shot at this picture. Only difference is I cropped it differently and sharpened it up a bit.

Def a much better crop. Great timing by the way. If you play with the levels a little bit you can decrease some of the highlites. This will make the ball stand out a little bit more also.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote