Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 1, 2007, 5:12 PM   #1

As usual, critique is accepted with open arms. I had to resize these down, and noticed they do not look as good. Also, it was drizzling outside, I had a 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D lens with a 1.4X teleconverter so I was actually shooting at f/3.8 with about a 800 shutter speed.

Ripsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 6:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

You seem to have a huge amount of noise in these shots, what ISO were you running at as I can't see it in the exif?

I'm not a big fan of a lot of lacrosse shots I've seen in the past but the first and last where the ball is moving does add to the action, just a shame the last one is facing away from you.

I've never shot lacrosse so not an expert but as they are mainly filling the vertical plane I would shoot in portrait rather than landscape.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 6:26 PM   #3

Aye, the noise be high. This was an evening game, started at 6:30pm and the drizzle cloudy overcast didn't help light conditions. I had to run @ 640 to 800 ISO. Coach didn't want me to use flash due to the small diameter of the ball, one look at a flash and a player could really miss the ball easily.

So, I am thinking I should have scrapped the 1.4 teleconverter and gained that 1 f-stop back so that I could drop the ISO down. Then crop the pictures that are way out there inpost-processing.
Old May 1, 2007, 7:41 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Do you have any noise reduction software? I use Noiseware Pro both the stand alone and plug-in products and find it works really well. If you needed the range I would not say that ISO 800 is going too high as long as you use something in PP to reduce it afterwards but if it is still noisy then reduce the shots you can get and pull off the teleconverter.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 7:57 PM   #5

Here is one image with the Noiseware free version which you can download. It will not allow you to batch print, but you can see the difference the software makes. I like the last shot. Its hard to tell if he is shooting on net or not. Lacrosse shots come at all different angles on the goalie, so it is hard to tell whether they are passing or shooting.

Attached Images

Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 10:16 PM   #6

Excellent! I like that clean up. Digital Image Pro has noise reduction, but it doesn't clean up as nice as that did! Thank you.