Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 1, 2007, 7:01 PM   #1

Something a bit different. C&C always welcome.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 7:28 PM   #2

Nice and sharp! Question on focusing with the sprinters or runners. Did you set your focus on one particular point and burst shoot, or did you use AF? They are tack sharp. What lens did you use? I know you have the Sigma 120-300mm 2.8.
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 7:48 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Nicely done John, good to see something a little different on here. I'm guessing you were at f2.8 with the running shots and for me they look too artificial as there is so much separation from the subject and background making it seem that they were super imposed. If there was another runner or something else behind that would probably help in the same way that the hurdles help.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Jeff, I will again make a guess that John would have been using AI-Servo mode for those shots as the dof of a 300mm lens at f2.8 is so small that there would be very little change of pre focusing and hitting the exact right spot. I also use the same lens and can say it tracks really well/focuses really quickly so no problem at all. I was shooting cars coming almost straight towards me at over 100mph at the weekend and it was fantastic.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 6:26 AM   #4

Thanks guys.

Mark - I hear what you're saying about too much isolation. Fortunately (fort them) /unfortunately (for me) the relay team is one of the best in the state. They opened up a sizeable lead on their opponent (and it was only a dual meet so only one other team). I agree another runner would have made for more interest. But, I'm not about to stop the lens down and bring that horrid building in the background into better focus :G

And yes, for runners it's ai-servo mode. The only shots where I didn't have servo engaged (courtesy of cfn-4) were the two of the pole vaulter. Every other shot was servo focus.

And yep - it was the 120-300. The high jump and pole were taken at f4 but everything else was 2.8
Old May 2, 2007, 6:28 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I understand and in the full size shot they probably look slightly less separated anyway.

Got to love cfn-4 I don't know how I managed before having this turned on.
Old May 4, 2007, 3:50 PM   #6

cfn-4 . can u explain a bit more. i am guessing ur isolating the shutter button to just perform the shutter action while use the back button to focus.

So when u say ur trying to focus u are just using the back button and press it whenever u want Ai servo to work. Else focus it once with the back button and use the shutter to shoot.

correct me if i am wrong.

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 5:00 PM   #7

In a nutshell that is correct. There are 4 settings:

0 = default
1 = * button controls focus in all modes, shutter button controls exposure and shutter. In this mode, if you're firing a burst sequence, metering is locked in on the first shot - shoot 6 shots in a burst and the camera uses the same metering for all 6.

2 = * button turns off AI-Servo and then re-activates it. Don't really use this mode at all

3 = same as setting 1 EXCEPT each shot in a burst has its own metering.

I use 4-3 for what it's worth. If you're shooting manual exposure both work the same (i.e. you're overriding the cameras metering anyway) - and if you're shooting AV it stands to reason you're doing that because lighting conditions are not constant - so you might as well get the benefit of metering recalculating for each shot.

So, for something like the pole vault I can pre-focus on the bar using the * button then take my hand off and just wait - i don't have to keep shutter button half-pressed to maintain focus lock. And where this really pays off is something like baseball. Let's say you're on the third base line and shooting for a steal attempt at second base. You focus on the bag and release the * button. You then recompose your shot to get the framing you want and wait. Your subject(s) enter the frame and at the right moment you fire the shutter - no worries that AF will malfuntion. But here's the kicker - if the throw is off and the runner gets up and runs to third you can immediately start servo tracking them by pressing the * button. IF you had relied on single-shot mode to get that steal shot - unless you're very good at the controls no way you're going to switch to servo mode fast enough to capture the shots of him running.

So this really helps in instances where you can pre-focus. Baseball/softball is full of such things. Football and soccer not so much. Track - sometimes. It doesn't help you at all when you're tracking a moving subject - no benefit whatsoever. But it really helps on those types of shots where you can pre-focus then recompose and wait (it's like you suddenly turned lens to manual focus).
Old May 4, 2007, 5:56 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I would not say that in tracking it is no benefit at all as I've found it to work much nicer as my thumb and index finger work independently of each other. So if I shoot off a couple of shots and then want to keep tracking ready to fire another I just keep my thumb down and the finger is ready to go all the time without the need for the half depress. This worked really well at the weekend when shooting motorsport asa corner that I was shooting on I wanted to get the shot of the car going round it and then a second or so later going up the hill to the finish sowith the finger on the focus I didn't have to worry about the lock being lost.

Here is an example of the shots I got using this. Yes you can do it in the normal mode but you are likely to come right off of the shutter and then need to get lock again with the half depress.

Old May 10, 2007, 6:43 PM   #9

good series
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote