Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 2, 2007, 1:47 PM   #1

Here is a photo of Sergei Brylin at practice a little while ago. I took this with my new Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens. I am absolutely loving this lens, and thought I would share.

Shot on a Canon 20D
Aperature Priority mode
ISO 800
f 2.8
1/800 shutter speed.

Chris

chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2007, 2:56 PM   #2

Chris,

Nice shot. What PP did you do, if any to the shot?

By the way - yes, the sigma 70-200 2.8 is a very nice lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 4:17 PM   #3
Super Moderator

You have done a good job here a lot of people suffer from huge under exposure when shooting Hockey (Ice Hockey for those of us in the UK) due to all the ice. How do you meter for this, do you use manual exposure or did you have to increase the exposure in PP?

Anyway nice work and looking forward to seeing more from you in Sports and Action.

Lastly I must agree with John the 70-200mm is a great lens mine is not used as much as it used to since getting the 120-300mm f2.8, you would love playing with that bad boy if you like the 70-200.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 5:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. The Devils practice rink is extremely well lit, I guess to simulate game conditions. I still needed to do some touching up in photoshop, though I am hoping with my new white balance filter, I can set the white balance better ahead of time to save some photoshop time.

The weird thing is I did all the adjusting of this photo on a calibrated moniter at work, but on my home computers, which are not calibrated, the colors, particularly the blacks are WAY too light. I am going to redo it tomorrow for better online viewing. In print form the blacks are nice, and black. These look horrible.

Thanks again for the kind words, and yes the Sigma lens has been worth every penny so far.

Chris
Old May 3, 2007, 12:57 PM   #5

I went back, and could not get it to reproduce as I was seeing it on my work monitor. It turns out my calibration on that computer was way out, I guess you really do have to check it frequently like the Calibration thing said. Anyway it should look a little better now.

Chris
Old May 3, 2007, 2:05 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Yep the blacks are looking better now.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote