Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 3, 2007, 2:52 PM   #1

Took these from the 3rd row behind 1st base. Gottaa few good ones and am working on manually stitching a pano (geez that takes some time). I think a few of these pictures look a little overblown. I did some PP to 3 and 4 and sharpened 1. 5 looks too bright but any adjustments I made in PP...I just couldn't find the look that I really wanted (see #6). I'll try again tonight at home on a better monitor.

Ian Kinsler

A rare double play for the Rangers on this night...

Giambi sure is looking thin in his post-steroids days!

Mark Teixeria (is cutting off his right foothurting this shot???)

Philip Hughes...this kid could be VERY good!!!

Philip Hughes with different PP...

mctrees02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2007, 7:04 AM   #2

The first shot is the best of the lot. But two suggestions on making it even better.

1. It needs to be straitened - look at the vertical lines of the wall & you'll see your level was off a bit.

2. Framing - there's a lot of dead space behind the player and not much space for the ball to move in to. So if you have the uncropped version I would suggest sliding the crop quite a bit to the left - put the right edge about half-way over the bag - this still leaves the reference point that the bag is right there but it allows the focus point to be shifted towards the action more because the action won't be at the edge of the frame.

Shots 2,3,5 & 6 just have too much loss of detail and focus is off. Not sure if they were heavily croppped or noise damage removed detail but it's just not there. Shots 5 & 6 (same shot different pp) looks back-focused - the crowd is almost in better focus than the pitcher. I'm guessing this was a heav crop.

Shot 4 is decent - but also crooked and still a decent loss of detail

What lens were you using? Were these cropped heavily or was there a lot of noise you removed? You've got tightly framed shots here but the focus issues and detail loss keep them from being as good as they could be.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3

All I have to shoot with are the 2 Zuiko lenses that come with the Oly e-500. I'm wanting to buy a telephoto sometime in the future but have to save up first to do so. I might have to consider buying a new camera though and have 1 for sports and 1 for non-sports. On average, the ones with detail loss are between 40-50% cropped. Due to the zoom limitations, I end up having to crop a lot of the picture to have a tight shot. I finally found some noise reduction software over the weekend so here's #1 with noise reduction, straighteningand a new crop:

Thanks again for all of the advice. In my haste to have a finished product...it's easy to overlook all of the little details. The suggestions definitely give me a better picture in the end once I put in the time needed to improve it relative to my current equipment and software limitations.
Old May 7, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4

Great improvement!! We all have to make do with what equipment we have. The key is to understand and know your equipment and stay within it's limitations (although alwaystesting the boundaries)

I think this is a great example of how important post processing is to a shoot. Most of us just aren't good enough to get perfect shots right out of the camera (I include myself in this as well). With a few moments I think you converted an OK shot into a really good one. Nicely done!

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 1:59 PM   #5

terrific change after the noise reduction.

and even the change in framing is better.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 3:26 PM   #6

Here's another shot at the one of Mark Teixeria. It's still a little out of focus but this noise reduction thing is great!