Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 7, 2007, 2:26 PM   #11

So you guys are thinking its glare? Hmmm, interesting. Almost forgot about that. Im so used to shooting with a polarizer when I think Ill be running into glare that I forgot what it looked like.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 7:10 PM   #12

mctrees02

My son is the brown haired. The ball is just hitting his head. He has 3 header goals this year. This is the second time the other kid mistimed his jump or just can't get up there. I have shot of that also but not as good as these.

Maybe I need a filter? I got my camera in Feb and had good luck with basketball, but i am finding shooting outside with the clouds movingin and out, and/orbright sun that I am having a hard time getting decent looking pics.

I was shooting AV mode 2.8 (this pic is 3.2, not sure why) ISO 400, Sharpness 6 and saturation 1.

Thanks for looking and the comments. I have a lot to learn still. I caught on to the mechanical aspect of it really quick, the fine art part is geting me now!

Thanks

btrips
btrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 7:15 PM   #13

DRGSin

I did use noiseware, default setting. Would a polarizer or UV filter make a diff? Just started shooting outside with this camera when the soccer season started. So I am trying to learn what is needed. I thought PP could take care of anything, but I am learning this is not the case.

Thanks

btrips
btrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 9:09 AM   #14

Theres alot better photogs on here than me but I'll spell out whatI try to do. I always try to position myself with the sun at my back and the action in front. I do use a polarizer on bright sunny days. Besides cutting out the glare, it also makes the skies bluer, and the grasses greener. I prefer to post process rather than process in camera. So I do MINIMAL sharpening, no saturation or tone correction. I also shoot in RAWso Ican easily correct problems without extensive Photoshop knowledge. I shoot in manual mode, which takes alot of fiddling esp with the sun peaking in and out of the clouds.I religiously look at my histogram after every shot and make necessary adjustments. I have found shooting in Av mode, there's a greater variation in the exposure of my shots-too unpredictable for me and instead of trying to figure it out I resorted to manual. Shooting at 400, if the exposure is too low,noise will creep in necessitating noise removal-which is what the problem isin these photos, loss of fine detail. I havent had to shoot 400 or abovein either day baseball or day Lacrosse yet this year. Now dont get me wrong...I have shot at 1600 with minimal noise and adequate noise remaval butthe shots were properly exposed. Im of the opinion, and it may be wrong, that do all you can do to not have to use noise removal. I just havent mastered the technique to the pointwhere mynoise adjusted shots are asgood as my normal shots. I shot a high school game last week and towards the end of the game I was struggling to get proper exposure at 1600. I put the camera away and enjoyed the game. Hope even a little of that made sense and was helpful to you.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote