Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 8, 2007, 3:58 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi Guys,

This is my 2nd motorsport shoot this year and the first time ever shooting at this track so I was not sure the best positions to get.

The first position I was really happy with but the 2nd two were not quite so good so I will revise these at the next visit (not until next year now).

As ever please let me know what you think and if you want to look at the gallery with approx 650 shots please go to http://www.photographysmith.co.uk/mo...thMay2007/HTML

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2007, 6:39 AM   #2

Mark,

Solid series of shots. You had a tremendous variety of cars to shoot, including some real classics. Looking over the larger series on your page, I really like the shots from position #3, except for the distraction of the bird feeder, or whatever it is just over the drivers' shoulders. The severity of the curve makes many of the cars produce a suspension lean that adds a feeling of action to the shots. In addition, many of them are scraping, or coming very near to scraping the hedges on the right side of the photos (as in #7). Among the shots posted from this position, I liked #9....good looking little Triumph, always one of my favorites, even if I can't fit into one, lol.

Position #2 gives solid shots from the front and good driver detail. In fact, my favorite among the ones you posted was #4, although I'm not exactly sure what the car is.

Position #1 does the best job of conveying that the event is a hill climb instead of a simple race. I like the little open-wheeler in #1 best of the group from this spot. The people up close to the ropes in #3 are distracting.

Nicely done. Looks like it was a great day for shooting.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 9:13 AM   #3

Man, what happened? These are horrible, especially after the standards which you have set. Just kidding! I thought it might liven you up a bit. Im not sure because Im nowhere near this level but it must get tiring being told how good your shots are...Maybe not- hope to find out some day. If I HAD to nitpick about something, my work monitoris off but does #3 look overexposed? The highlites on that front fender are distracting. Nicely done, I like the "angled" framing, esp with the panning, very cool. Thats something Ive never tried.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 9:24 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks guys!!! LOL I did wonder what on earth was going on at first hehe!!

The car in photo 4 is a Sylva Striker with a Honda Fireblade engine which sounds stunning revving to 15,000 RPM.

I havea similar problem not being able to get into a lot of cars as I'm 6'6" tall so that makes life interesting but enjoy getting out and being a part of the event, even better that I can get a lot closer to the action than Joe Public.

As for the angled framing I got this idea from a magazine I was reading a while ago otherwise I would still be shooting with them straight. Actually if you notice my brain was not working when I first got there so I took first shots with the camera level. I like adding the angle as it adds interest and helps to fill the frame.

I guess we all like to be told that someone likes our work butI also like to be told what does not work as this is one of the best ways to learn. I also spend a lot of time critiquing myself and looking at the work of others who know more than me and try to emulate what they are doing. I'm quite happy as there is another guy covering the local hillclimb circuit but his work does not seem to be of the same standard as me (yes I do sound big headed) which is good for me as it means I should be getting more work when they look at the two of us.

Old May 10, 2007, 6:27 AM   #5
TG

Nice shots Mark,

Enjoyed you last series as well, personally I do not like angled pans, but do like angles front on and 3/4 front on pans.What about some extreme slow shutter speed pans next time (they look great when you nail them).

Nice front on shots, maybeframed a bit to tight (I do the same a lot).With shots 4, 5, 7 & 8 they are allmost three quater pans and you could have tryeda slower shutter speed with these types of shot just to get some motion blurin the background.

Great work once again Mark.

Tom.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 6:33 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Hi Tom thanks for your comments.

I'm in that horrible situation of trying to be creative while getting enough shots of each driver to sell. The downside of the hillclimb is they get 4 runs in a day (I got there too late for the first run) so want don't want to miss too many otherwise that could impact business. I wish I could shoot at a track where they kept passing so I could use high percentage shot techniques and then go creative realising I will lose quite a few but make things more interesting! Shooting for myself would be more fun as I could do what I want but making more money is high on my list so I can geta MkIII if possible.
Old May 10, 2007, 6:39 AM   #7
TG

I had a feeling you were going to say this and I understand where your coming from as the average punter buying your pics justwants to see a sharp pic and does notcare aboutthe creativeelements of your shot.

Tom.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 6:43 AM   #8
Super Moderator

LOL you area mind reader and you are 100% right they do like to see some movement (looking at the sort of shots that sell best) but for me I need to have enough to sell and they are not aware what is possible if someone was to go to the extremes of photography. The other guys who shoot at these events use even less 'creative' settings than me which is good as I'm already offering something different. I hope to be covering a 2 day event in the summer so there will be 8 runs so possibly on a couple of these runs I will have a chance to go creative.
Old May 10, 2007, 7:36 AM   #9

Mark,

Nice shots. Just please be careful sitting on the side of the road. These drivers are not even behind the steering wheel!!!! They are all driving from the passenger seat. The better picture would be how they get their legs over the center column and work the pedals from the passenger seat. HA HA.

I like number9 only because my father and uncle owned a few Triumphs. TR4's, TR6's, and I think a TR250? They were also fond of MG's and my cousin would race one of them.

Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 7:39 AM   #10
Super Moderator

LOL.... in that case this one will do the trick for you as he is on the 'wrong' side of the car!!