Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 15, 2007, 11:52 PM   #1

I couldnt believe it when I broughtup the latest batch. This was a high school game this time. The pic has been resized and slightly sharpened. I realize I need a few more corrections but I was so X-ited I couldnt wait.

DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 6:10 AM   #2

Great timing again. I might suggest you try some different crops though. The action is at the extreme edge of the frame and the umpire, and even catcher, distract from it. In general, having all three can be a nice context shot - but when you have good action like this it shouldn't compete for the eye's attention.

Regardless, good timing again!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 7:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the kind words. Would you suggest I have the batter to the far right of the frame, leaving space "for the ball to travel"? How would thiscomposition work if I were trying to capture the catcher's play? Again, as always, thanks for the input.
Old May 16, 2007, 1:32 PM   #4

not sure if it needs to go all the way to the right or not. Try a few things and see what looks best to you.

Quote:
How would thiscomposition work if I were trying to capture the catcher's play?
Catcher's play shots are tough - you basically need the ball right at the mit or coming off the ground. In either case, I would apply the same thinking as above - the action is limited to the one player and the ball - the batter and umpire would, IMO be extraneous. For example, in this shot, who really cares what the batter was doing?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 2:21 PM   #5

What a better way to answer a question than with an example-thank you! This will be my goal next time out.
Old May 16, 2007, 9:28 PM   #6

Nice shot AGAIN!! To me, the umpire distracts more than anything. I guess it may be the distance between the catcher and the umpire that is the most distracting. Normally, the umpire is hanging right over the shoulder of the catcher. I do like the picture, and also, you dont have to worry about the batters eyes being on the ball. I cant believe the parents of the other picture were not happy. Oh well.
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 9:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the compliment Jeff. I agree it would look alot better with the ump closer. Theres no way to crop the catcher away though, as was suggested...esp with my limited PS skills.
Old May 16, 2007, 10:18 PM   #8

drgsin, you have a horseshoe up your tuchus. Great timing, and with a little cropping this baby is gonna pop. Well done!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 10:21 PM   #9

Hope you don't mind, just did a quick crop as a suggestion of another way of framing the shot. Great job once again!!!!
Attached Images

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 11:47 AM   #10

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps wrote:
Quote:
drgsin, you have a horseshoe up your tuchus. Great timing, and with a little cropping this baby is gonna pop. Well done!
:lol::lol::lol:Thanks alot,your crop is what I also had in mind-def looks better.