Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 16, 2007, 4:51 PM   #11

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
1) I'm starting with such a small image sample due to the percentage of original frame being so small.
That's going to be your biggest culprit. Your subject needs to fill 1/2 the frame IN-CAMERA. If it doesn't, you need to get closer. Until you do you'll continue to get low image detail.

I'd say start there.

Eliminate that one from the equation and then deal with #3. If you have more image detail to start with, the noise reduction will cause less damage.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 5:14 PM   #12

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, my choice of camera position was limited. Since I was the meet announcer, I had to shoot from a tall pressbox.
Looks like the choice was these images our none.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 6:13 PM   #13

a.c.....you're right. It was this camera position or none. I was being paid to announce the meet. I tried to get some shots for the kids between times I was running my mouth.

John, I'm focusing on the shot of the hurdler. Here is the original shot, resized to fit the forum.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 6:23 PM   #14

This is a replication of the crop.....size of the crop was 861 X 829. Thus, the image is about 713 K as it comes out of the crop. My viewer shows JPEG compression reducing file size to about 160 K. This has not been resized, nor any post-processing applied.

ISO was 400....f 5.6.....1/1144th....focal length of the lens is shown in the EXIF at 29mm, which means this one was not taken at full zoom. I'm not sure what the multiplier with the Fuji is to convert to 35mm equivalent but it would be 29mm x 1.7 x multiplier. If it is a linear scale, the multipler would be about 4.4 because 67mm (lens fully extended) converts to 300mm equivalent.

When comparing to the wedding shots you mentioned, John, none of them violated the HALF FRAME rule you mention. These
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2007, 6:28 PM   #15

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
a.c.....you're right. It was this camera position or none. I was being paid to announce the meet. I tried to get some shots for the kids between times I was running my mouth.

So the moral of the story is - you can't do both. You were paid to do a job and you did it. If you're really interested in taking photos then do it at a different time. You just can't get quality shots with this type of approach.

I agree 100% with your priorities - doing the job you're paid to do first. Now you know if you want decent, usable shots you'll have to try and get them when you're not doing another job!

Good luck!
Old May 16, 2007, 6:38 PM   #16

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
I respectfully disagre here. The other choice if it's important to you is to shoot a meet where you are not being paid to do another job. Then you have the freedom to get down close and do quality work. Lots of meets in a season.

The real choice is: do 2 jobs at once and do half-way job on both or do one job at a time and do quality work for both. I know it sounds harsh, but I believe it to be true. Trojansoc or anyone else will not get quality results with half-hearted effort.

I don't buy into 'anything is better than nothing' philosophy - especially not for predictive sports (i.e. you can choose to shoot another meet) vs a once-in-a-lifetime shot. If you want good results you have to put in the work. But it comes down to what level of quality you want to achieve. If someone is happy with this level of quality - no need to change. If you want better quality at least we've worked out ways it can be achieved without any new equipment.

Old May 16, 2007, 6:42 PM   #17

and here is the original crop on the high jumper. This one was much later in the day, after two rain delays. ISO still 400, but focal length at full zoom, f 5.6, 1/247th, EV - 0.7
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2007, 6:49 PM   #18

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
and here is the original crop on the high jumper.
This is what I'm talking about - you can't even make out the eyes - not enough detail to be a keeper. Way too much of a crop.

Get up close and you'll see necessary details. No your camera won't get shots quite this good but a heck of a lot better than the heavy crop you've shown. See the eyebrows, the wrinkles, the hairs in the face, texture in the uniform. These are the same types of details in the wedding photos because you were close enough. The heavy crops look like the people were painted.

Old May 16, 2007, 7:04 PM   #19

Try less of a crop

Yes I cloned out two of the runners. But hey, it's not for the news right?

Attached Images

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 7:46 PM   #20

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
I respectfully disagre here. The other choice if it's important to you is to shoot a meet where you are not being paid to do another job. Then you have the freedom to get down close and do quality work. Lots of meets in a season.

The real choice is: do 2 jobs at once and do half-way job on both or do one job at a time and do quality work for both. I know it sounds harsh, but I believe it to be true. Trojansoc or anyone else will not get quality results with half-hearted effort.

I don't buy into 'anything is better than nothing' philosophy - especially not for predictive sports (i.e. you can choose to shoot another meet) vs a once-in-a-lifetime shot. If you want good results you have to put in the work. But it comes down to what level of quality you want to achieve. If someone is happy with this level of quality - no need to change. If you want better quality at least we've worked out ways it can be achieved without any new equipment.

I wonder, assuming there was no cost to the parents of the athletes involved in shots 1 and 2, if they'd rather have those two images or none?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote