Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 17, 2007, 12:49 PM   #31

Great points...Cant argue with any of them.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 4:20 PM   #32

DRGSin, you mention folding your camera and stopping shooting. In fact, that's what I wound up doing, but I should have done so before the girls' high jump. Two rain delays and dusk nearing had caused lighting to deteriorate at the ends of the stadium. In retrospect, I should have canned all of my shots from that event.

Dr., I appreciate the advice on the better noise reduction software. I've replied in PM, and I'll be experimenting with Noiseware. One thing that showed clearly to me when I posted the original crop of the hurdler without any PP on it was that I had, in fact, lost detail in the noise reduction step. It was particularly noticeable at the extremeties.

John, I appreciate the point you're making. It is a valid argument,but we've just about beaten the horse to death. I respect your skills and I value your advice, but my desired outcomes are not always the same as yours.

I do want to point out that I am not simply upgrading my equipment because I have some delusion better equipment will magically transform me into a better sports photographer. In fact, the kit I purchased will probably not give me any substantial immediate improvement in sports photography. It'll be a while before I can afford the kind of glass I'll need to givessignificantly better low-light performance than I'm getting. I'm moving to a DSLR because it will allow me more room to develop my skills in all trypes of photography. It will also offer the flexibility that I'll have the option to move to that kind of kit when my skills reach that point.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 6:10 PM   #33

How many times have you passed a game, be it a baseball, football, basketball, lacrosse, and no one is there taking pictures? When I was growing up, we never had the opportunity to see ourselves in pictures, unless your dad took some pictures with his instant camera, or if you were lucky, another parent had a SLR. Even then, did we ever see the pictures?

Nowadays, there are people making a living of this, like a lot on this board do, or attempt to do. It may be full time, or it may be a hobby that earns them a little extra cash on the side, and then it may be for pure enjoyment, or to provide images to students or athletes who you enjoy coaching. Whatever it is, I am sure it is appreciated by the people who are playing the game. Especially if the athlete never had a picture of him or herself while playing.

I do see everyone's point of view on this one, but everyone's goals are different.

Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:07 PM   #34

LOL, Jeff. Your comments evoked images of the full photographic record of my "athletic career." One football shot of my backside (today it would have to be a wide angle shot) as I fired off the line into the backfield and several grainy annual pics of my jumpshot in embarassingly short shorts.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:33 PM   #35

I dont know how my father did it, but he also had a Minox, and I could sware it was at a game or two. Oh what I would give to have photos of me and the gang playing organized sports against other youth organizations. I have a 3 year old daughter, and she is my favorite subject. We have a ton of pictures, and whatever she is interested in, it will be well documented. Thats the beauty of it.

You also got me thinking of my sports teams when I was young. I ran into my first soccer coach last year. I hadn't seen him in 35 years.
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote