Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 19, 2007, 8:11 PM   #1
Super Moderator

As mentioned I was out again today shooting another hillclimb (such a hard life.... cars and photography all rolled into one) and was please to be in the right place for some interesting shots.

Also for the first time this season there were bikes on the course which adds another dimension.

As ever if you have any questions ask away and please give give c & c.

Enjoy,

Mark

3 Spot the car that decided to break a little late an then too hard to make the right hand corner, nice skid though!

4 Is he getting around the corner???

5 Hmmm does not look like it, I hope that barrier is strong, I'm only a few foot this side of it!!

6 What.... water...... no, I'm going to.......

7 ......yes...... I'm going to.........

8 ...... get water all over me..... but I got the shots, shame the car is a bit blown out!!!! (Oh and the barrier was strong enough When I was not looking through the view finder on a later car looking like hitting the barrier it was surprising how much more I jumped back..... ah it must be that the camera makes you invincible.... yes that's it!!! LOL

9 1/80th for the blur to increase the feeling of speed

10 Here come the bikes.

11 1/60th shutter to get the blur

13 A bit of three wheeled action as well.

14 One of the marshals doing his thing

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2007, 10:34 PM   #2

Excellent shots again Mark! My favorite would be the bike with sidecar. Being able to see the eyes of both riders, and seeing them 'looking ahead' around the approaching corner makes this shot a winner for me. Not to mention the bike is extremely cool as well, not that there is anything wrong with the 7, the Mini, or the formula (is that a Hyabusa engine it that?).

Since you mentioned questions, what shutter speed do you usually shoot at? The 7 and the bikes are all very sharp, but with motion blurring evident in the wheels.

Chris
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 10:43 PM   #3

hi mark, super sharp pics as usual! excellent work!

i know you had to get wet when that car hit the barrels.

that mini locking it up! awesome shot! and you know i love the bikes!

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 2:42 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks Guys!!

I'm not sure of the engine but it is not a Hyabusa as the program says it is 1097cc so not large enough....... was a nice car though.

As for shutter speed my general is 1/320 when I'm shooting front corner of a vehicle so as you say the wheels have movement in them. If you want to check out full camera settings the exif is in place in these shots and you can use oPanda iExif (free from the oPanda website) to view the info by just right clicking the images.

I thought you would like the bikes John.... these guys were crazy to say the least but they do make entertaining viewing.

Old May 20, 2007, 8:05 AM   #5

Super Pitures,I really like the ones of the car into the tires, Great timing.
Jobeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 9:46 AM   #6

Great set of shots Markmy fav is # 13 as well, I see in the crash sequence the focal length was in the low 20's?, what lens was you using?, short for motorsports !!,and it begs the question, did you addsomeoil to the track:lol:!!. Well done. Kind regards Graham
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Did I add oil LOL..... should have thought about it but when it is their 2nd times run they start to push it a bit so you can get some mistakes.

The 3 lenses I take for shooting this sort ofevent are Sigma 120-300mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 (not an ideal lens but works fine for what I use it for. I use the latter as I have the opportunity of getting right next to the track as I am media so get full access as long as it is not too dangerous so need the wide angle. For that corner I'm usually shooting at about 40mm I think but as you can see was zooming out as the car got closer to make sure I kept it all in.
Old May 21, 2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Just found the shot from another photographer who was covering the event where the car was getting me wet so you can see it from the opposite side.

http://www.teltphotography.com/index...53DSC_3102.jpg
Old May 22, 2007, 11:48 AM   #9

Great series Mark, as usual. Im kind of partial to the bikes so it was nice to see those included.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 3:50 AM   #10

Some nice shots there mark, but I would like to see more movment in the shots, some of them look to static for me.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote