Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 20, 2007, 5:43 PM   #1
Super Moderator

This is my 2nd time only trying to shoot football and although I'm very experienced at shooting field hockey not a lot of the timing is the same as I just don't yet know how to predict the game and also there is a much more variation in height of the ball which you don't get in hockey.

I really enjoyed this and know I still have loads to learn so will keep on trying to get better shots.

Please let me know what you think, the exif is in place so you can check out settings.

Camera Canon 30D and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2007, 6:28 PM   #2

great work Mark. 6,8 and 9 are fantastic shots. Your timing was great on a number of the others but there was a lack of intensity on the players in those shots - which is why these shots stand out to me. Great work on the headers!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 6:56 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Thanks John. I decided later in the 2nd half that I really needed to focus on headers as this was not an aspect I had had to deal with in the past so was not quite sure how to frame or predict too well where everything was going.That is why a few feet are removed but I don't think that is too big a problem as it is not footwork that we are looking at in the shots.

I'm going to try and get a few more games in to practise and then see if next season any local clubs want me in for some matches as the hockey club I cover have had their top men's and ladies teams relegated so I don't think there will be as much call for work in the papers and I never get a huge amount of orders..... I honestly think shooting younger age groups where the parents want shots of their children is going to bring in more work. I will have to see what I can set up and get clubs to sort out permission from parents etc.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 10:23 PM   #4

Great shots Mark! I must say I cringe seeing this surface since after 30 years of playing this game I succumbed to an ACL tear (completely torn with radial tears to the meniscus) I did have the patellar tendon transfer done and 25 % of the meniscus had to be excised since the tear was a shredding.

It hurt but good and had two surgeons put me back together. I continue to play and don't think about it at all until I see this kind of playing surface.

I am surprised though that being from the other side of the pond that you did not get much exposure to Football. I watch the EPL every week here and my team did reclaim the Premiership title. Go Man U.

I would take in a game or two and just watch the action. Much of it is not centered on the ball though. Watch the runs away from the ball and anticipate the action that way. Most people who are casual fans watch the ball rather than the action surrounding it making a play of some sort develop. Watching the defense anticipate it is what I find enjoyable as a spectator of this sport. Having been a coach for the last twenty-five years you watch for things like that.

Keep posting those footie shots.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:26 PM   #5

Mark, In addition to the ones John liked, I also liked #3. That's a position that's fraught with peril for both players, both in terms of the possibilities of physical contact and in terms of creating an unexpected opportunity for either yourself or your opponent.

vIZnquest's advice is right on target about how to learn to anticipate a play. One of the ironies of football is that the more skilled the players are, the more predictable are the moves on the field. Nothing is harder to referee than two bad teams because you never know where the ball is going to go, and when they are 15-18 year old kids, the one thing you can be sure of is that whichever direction they go, it will be the wrong one. I would give the same advice as vIZnquest on learning how to read the game to someone wanting to shoot it well.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote