Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 22, 2007, 2:31 AM   #1
v12

I finally got a chance to play with a decent lens and I found out that I have a lot to learn! Its a different world from the point and click arena I was from. I find it both fun and frustrating!

I would love to hear suggestions on what settings to try to get better pics. Here is the story with these and also my settings

Nikon D50
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8VR
most shots were taken at 200mm since they were not that close
It was mostly cloudy during the day with rain storms just north of us but we managed to stay dry somehow. Dark skies didnt help me but I did get some shots in the sun.

F15 Eagle in a flyby taken at 200mm. Cropped the excess sky and did some color adjustments in PS. Not the greatest but id like to hear how I can fix that!

Attached Images

v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 2:32 AM   #2
v12

F-86 Super Sabre with too much sky but it works out perfect for my dekstop with all my icons to one side and the plane alone to the right!

Shot at 200mm at 2.8 on A priority
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2007, 2:34 AM   #3
v12

F-27 belonging to the Army's Golden Kights jump team, shot at roughly 100m2.8 if I remember correctly

Attached Images

Old May 22, 2007, 2:36 AM   #4
v12

The Heritage Flight was impressive, P-51 Mustang in the lead, followed by the A-10 Warthog and flanked by the F-15 Eagle and the new F-22 Raptor

Shot was cropped for excess sky and small color adjustments. I wish I could figure out how to clearer shots. Shot at 200mm and 2.8 with a storm in the background, hence the dark skies

suggestions appreciated
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2007, 2:40 AM   #5
v12

This is pic is the F-18 SuperHornet, no editing except it was shrunk for the forums

100mm'ish at 2.8 The dark sky didnt help the colors that day
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2007, 3:53 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Cool to see so airshow pics I like the glow of the engines in shot one.

I've not shot aircraft for quite a while so hope to get one in this year.

To get some more sharpness up you need to close the aperture down quitea bit to say f8 for starters as this will increase the focal plane. This is essential for the shot with the four aircraft (oh I'm a bigfan of the A-10 so was glad you got one in), actually when shooting any aircraft with apropeller or helicoptersyou need to reduce the shutter speed more.When you shot theF-86 you shutter speed was 1/4000th so if it was the samefor the others it is too fast, for prop/rotors to get some movement in them you will need to be down to about 1/160th - 1/250th (you cango slower if you like) so you will need to kick into shutter priority.

Here isa shot taken while at a hockey match so grabbed this one quickly, it was taken at 1/125th f13 to capture the motion in the rotors..... yes it does mean you have to have a smooth panning technique at these sort of speeds so that needs practise.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 7:50 AM   #7

That is not a bad set of photos. Cropping looks good and you work with adjustments wasn't bad beside I love aircraft photos anyway.

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 1:28 PM   #8

Very nice shots. #1 was great capture. I really like #3, kind of a generational view of the Airforce.

btrips
btrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 6:54 PM   #9
v12

thanks for the comments gents, I appreciate the shooting tips as I have noted them down and cant wait for my next show to practice!

Old May 22, 2007, 10:19 PM   #10

Great shots! I like um all.....

one question....is that transport really an "F27"? I thought "F" was reserved for fighter aircraft.....don't know, just wondering....

BTW, maybe you said it someplace, but where was this air show?
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote