Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 22, 2007, 11:21 AM   #1

Taken with Konica Minolta 5D with Sigma 70-210 APO DG lens plus cropping and digital darkroom on some pictures.

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 5:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator

That fence really was not your friend was it and neither the weather!!! I like that you have the KM bike in there as you are a KM shooter.

Bike 65 is the sharpest, just a shame that the front wheel was cut by the frame.

Did you have a good time there (even with the weather)?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 4:12 PM   #3

Yeah, that bloomin' fence really got on my t*ts! The only way around was to zoom through it but that then caused panning and focusing problems. Couldnt use auto focus as it would lock onto the fence and had to pan really quick as the bikes were just finishingthe fastest point of the circuit. I got quite a fewin good frame but were blurred due to being out of the fixed focus point orslow panning!

Loris Capirossi (bike #65) was probably my best picture out of the hundreds I took. Just gutted the front wheel was a fraction out of frame.

Took this picture last year from the next chicane (just before the Dunlop bridge) and it came out superb as I managed to focus through the fence this time.

Yup, had to have the KM bike in there, even if they don't do cameras anymore!

We got to meet and shake the hand of the legend that is Randy Mamola! What a great bloke. I'm the one on the right.

Weather was bad but didn't dampen our spirits, roll on next year!:-)

Old May 25, 2007, 4:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

That's cool and I like the shot from last year. I agree it is reallya shame that KM are no longer in the camera game and just wish for those still using KM lenses that Sony would produce a 7D replacement to help get a bigger market share!

If you get to shoot more events would love to see your work.
Old May 25, 2007, 4:47 PM   #5

Thanks, I really appreciate your comments. Here are a few other favourites;

Le Mans 2006;

WSB, Brands Hatch, August 2006

... and my footie team!

The guy with the wrist bandage scored with a header

even though the picture quality is poor (poor use of polarising filter!)... these ones taken at Plymouth last September!

Old May 25, 2007, 4:59 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I like the wheelie..... btw do you use any sharpening (unsharp mask) before you post the shots as it doesn't look like you do and it would really help give the shots more pop?!

I'm guessing you are a QPR man, I'm so lame when it comes to football I had to Google the sponsor to see which team it was :roll:I don't even know who won the match. I'm better at playing than watching.... probably because I play most weeks but have never been to watch a pro match.

Do you always shoot with the action program mode as it seems most of them have this? You can make you shots even better at the next attempt if you are game to try some different things playing with Shutter Priority for the motorbikes and aperture priority for the football (if you can get closer to the action). Especially for the bikes you will be amazed at the difference you can get with some creative settings. It does mean you need to practise panning technique but the results are worth it if you are game.
Old May 25, 2007, 5:17 PM   #7

Some pictures have been sharpened, but I don't like going to far as it grains the image so I try and find a happy medium.

QPR? yup, 'fraid so! The game ended 1-1 (same score at QPR's ground a couple of months ago). It's difficult taking pictures as a fan. I should try and get to a nuetral game so I can concentrate more on the pictures than the game! However, taking pictures at games infringes Football League rules.They normally turn a blind eyewith camera phones or compact camera's but I have had trouble with my dSLR and have had to put it away on a few occasions!

Action program? guilty! Well, sports mode is the one I use. I'm a bit chicken at experimenting in case I get a poor picture when one of the program modes may have done the trick. I know I have to take the plunge and experiment, whatever the consequences. I have Minolta 70-210mm 'beercan' lens with a fixed aperture of f4 so that might be good at football for the depth of field. I did actually take that lens with me when QPR played at Wolves a few weeks back to try out the constant f4 but I nearly wasn't allowed in with it and when I did sit down, I was right by stewards and Policemen so I didn't even risk it!

Old May 25, 2007, 5:27 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Ideal, the consistent f4 will be a big help and if you are on the sidelines then 210mm is just enough but not really from the stands. The best way to learn what you can get is to go to local league football, rugby, hockey etc and give it a bash as you can get up close and personal. I would start with aperture priority at f4 for field sports as this will always give the highest shutter speed which is good. If you adjust the ISO so you are getting approx 1/800th - 1/1000th that is a good place to be. You can go down to 1/640th (or lower in bad light)but I like to be a bit faster. For starters go for multi/evaluative metering as this is the best mix. If kits are really light or really dark it will affect the image by under or over exposing respectively.

Shooting motorsport is different and if you have a look at my posts for the events I have done recently (hillclimbs) then there is quite a bit of info in there to get the results I did.

Best thing is to ask away when you have more questions or want clarification and examples.

Old May 25, 2007, 5:35 PM   #9

Thanks Mark, really appreciate the tips )
Old May 25, 2007, 5:38 PM   #10
Super Moderator

You are welcome, it's over to you now to have a play and see what you can get just keep it fun and you will go a long way.