Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 25, 2007, 9:18 AM   #1

ok i used my new lens 50-200mm f2.8-3.5

the first pic i cropped, the other 2 i just resized, i wanted some imput not so much on the shot, as for focus. now i figured with the larger aperture i would get sharper focus. so here is my question. do you think its the camera/lens or me doing hand held shots. also i did upgrade the firmware on the internet. i have a monopod on order, but i was very eager to try this lens outside.
Attached Images

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 9:18 AM   #2

another
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2007, 9:19 AM   #3

another, one other thing, also could it be because i use the smallest quality jpeg setting?
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2007, 9:48 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi John,

The first is possibly a bit soft but the other two look OK. It is hard to tell how good they are when you have reduced the size as the quality will improve.

If you post a 100% of the section that is the sharpest (with a wide aperture you will find that not the whole subject will be perfectly sharp) so we can take a look at that. If you are not sure what I mean take a look at my site where I have an example http://www.photographysmith.co.uk/id10.html

Personally I onlyevery use highest quality jpg or RAW (portraits only) when shooting otherwise you are losing out.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 9:55 AM   #5

hi mark,

thank you! as always you are true professional!
Old May 25, 2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Super Moderator

LOL I would not go that far.

btw your technique is looking much better especially in the last one where you got lower.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:51 AM   #7

airbrushjohn wrote:
Quote:
now i figured with the larger aperture i would get sharper focus.
It's not that easy.

On the plus side, a lens with wider aperture lets in more light so the camera can focus better (side note - a camera will focus with the aperture wide open no matter what value the exposure is taken at - so a 2.8 lens focuses at 2.8 all the time - if you have aperture set to f8 it focuses at 2.8 and closes down to f8 to take the shot)

But the other side of the equation is: with wider apertures, your depth of field is shallower. So when your focus is off it really shows up more.

I would say these shots could benefit from USM but I don't think the focus is too bad. I think it will get better as you get more practice.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 8:00 PM   #8

(side note - a camera will focus with the aperture wide open no matter what value the exposure is taken at - so a 2.8 lens focuses at 2.8 all the time - if you have aperture set to f8 it focuses at 2.8 and closes down to f8 to take the shot)

I did not realize this. What happens if you happen to be shooting at f4 or 5.6 and you do a burst of 5 shots? Will it continue to open and close for every shot? I thought when you change the aperature, the aperature changes as you make the change. Thanks for the insight.

Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 4:00 AM   #9
Super Moderator

The aperture will open up for every shot to allow good focus and the clearest possible view through the viewfinder. Youcan test this out for yourself, if you set to say f20 and then press the depth of field button (does the Olympus have one?) you will see how dark it goes. Then rattle off a few shots and you will see that you can see clearly and not with the darkness of the aperture set.
Old May 26, 2007, 4:52 PM   #10

thanks johng and mark,

that is something i never even imagined. here is a pic that shows the very narrow dof. my little crazy dog!!

Attached Images