Attached Images

BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 4:31 PM   #22

Oh and our future President!
Attached Images

Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:16 PM   #23

Bob - I like the shot of Rudy!

Of the game shots, shot 3 has the most potential. But I have to ask - was this shot heavily cropped? It has quite a bit of noise (although that can be cleaned up)and there's good loss of detail (which makes me think either heavily cropped or just exceeded the capability of the lens you were using). You removed the exif so I can't tell what the settings were.

Shot 1 has some potential but it's too loosely cropped - you can't see the faces.

What camera/lens were you working with?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:49 PM   #24

Thanks John,
None of these were croped. The Posada shot (3) is shot at 1600iso, as are all of them, most at full 200mm of the lens. Can't explain the noise past that.
Lens was a sigma 28 - 200mm (older film lens I think/ 72mm end ). I tried the photoshop noise filter but didn't like the results. What do you sugest? Noise Ninja maybe? They were all shot in jpeg. Don't know how I removed the exf detail. I used the create web page auot action in cs2, and resized some by hand. I must have missed a setting that kept thatdetail in. I must try again sometime.

I also shot a few with the flash on when they were in the batters box. Player came out fine but the grass in the backround gets almost floresent green. Really weird.
bob

Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:47 AM   #25

Cool shots though. All foundational for where you (we) will be in a few years after more practice.

Can't even comment on the settings johng and others mentioned. They are light years ahead of me as I'm just now getting into little league shooting. Only comment I have is, DON'T discount shots of players from behind. (Please no Freudian crap here, but...) As mentioned in another post, there is some fascination with the names and numbers on backs of jerseys. Yes, ideally you'd have almost all face shots but don't forgot all those other cool shots you could get when a player is NOT facing you.

An on-deck batter with back to you and field laid out in front. The classic pic of an on-deck batter with bat horizontal across neck and under arms (terrible description but at a loss for words here). An exasperrated pitcher facing out into the outfield, hands on hips, screaming to the gods. A catcher facing to the outfield watching play unfold, or, announcing the outs and to where the next play should be, "Two down, two down. Play's at first." There are plenty of emotional shots and/or other "action" shots you'd treasure just as much as your "bat on ball" efforts. A batter getting ready in the box with the field laid out in front of him, perhaps one or two blurry players in the distance. The perspective of the field, the ballpark, etc... Get the name on the jersey and that's all some kids ever need to see.

There is one I'll never forget of McGwire, taken from behind, mid-swing, arms fully extended out over plate. No face but the "behind" shot just exuded power. Not as much personality but plenty of perspective. Of course, at the time, with him the single icon of baseball for a season or two, he needed no face shot for anyone to recognize him.

The classic/cliche shot of a defeated player seated on bench with head lowered between his hands tells as much as anything. So, action perhaps, but, these massive, larger than life athletes look amazing from all sorts of angles. The uniforms, the colors, the setting... There's a lot more to sports than just the action shots.

Now, like anyone else, at a little league game, do I run from dugout to dugout for right- and then left-handed batters? Absolutely. But, two of my nephews favorite pictures so far are on of a practice swing on deck with his own name across his back. Good perspective of field and "all star" setting gives him pride. Also, another on-deck closeup of his helmet. Face is visible but the lettering of his last name on the helmet makes him feel like a big leaguer. It was the lettering I wanted. His face was secondary. He loves it!!!
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:13 AM   #26

lol,

I shot close to 300 shots.. some from behind. Didn't think that people would want to see them... I'll have to resize them later at home , but then I will up a few. thanks for the advice and interest. Of course we all know that the Yanks don't and will never put the names on the back of the jersey... Tradition!

Bob

PS what do you think of the last one of Valentin from the Mets

Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:53 PM   #27

Very nice shots.

Thanks for posting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 7:50 PM   #28

I like the shots but it certainly makes you look at the pro shots with a whole new respect doesn't it? Amazing the difference in thinking of shots and making them happen. Of course, perspective is everything. Some love the NY Times shots posted here and others wondered why he made the effort. I at first wondered too until I realize HOW MUCH of the ballpark you saw. It took in the whole event!

Can't wait to take on this challenge myself but may start at minor league parks where I can get more "access." Pick a slow night and you may be able to get behind the dugout.

Should be enough baseball left before I can get a "sports" lens :-)
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote