Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1

First chance I've had to get out and shoot soccer with my new K10D. Caught some action in the local Sunday men's league on an overcast morning.

Tamron 70-300 @ 148mm...f5.6....ISO 800....1/3000...Av Mode
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:15 AM   #2

#2 83mm....1/1000...other settings the same
Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:16 AM   #3

#3 83mm...1/1000..... all shots taken with auto focus
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:07 PM   #4

Nice timing on the shots Trojan. Having tried mens soccer once, I found it very difficult to follow the action and be prepared to capture it while composing the frame. My concern with your shots is that some of them seem to be out of focus-some of the same trouble I had. In #2 for example, the guy behind the action is sharper than the subject.All I can say is practice makes perfect. Did you have to zoom in on the action or were you close to it?
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:25 PM   #5

DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
Nice timing on the shots Trojan. Having tried mens soccer once, I found it very difficult to follow the action and be prepared to capture it while composing the frame. My concern with your shots is that some of them seem to be out of focus-some of the same trouble I had. In #2 for example, the guy behind the action is sharper than the subject.*All I can say is practice makes perfect. Did you have to zoom in on the action or were you close to it?
Timely capture. But it looks like he was using automatic focusing. And quite a few P&S has focusing issue . My Canon G1 was the worst back in 2002.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:11 PM   #6
Super Moderator

How are you enjoying the K10D?

Looks like you have had the same problem as other people with getting your subject in focus. What focus point/points were you using? You might find it better to be on the centre point focus and ensure that you are in AF-Continuous (I believe that is the term Pentax use).

You already have the basics down as they are straight and they are well framed, also you seem to be shooting from quite a low angle so that also helps. Once you have your subjects in focus rather than the background or another player then they will be hugely better.

As has been said a lot in the past sports shooting is not easy as there are a lot of things to take into consideration so take it one step at a time and as ever my 3 golden rules are practise, practise, practise.

Every time you try a new sport you will start the learning process again as timing is different, the flow of the sport is different, the angles that work best are different etc which is what makes sports so much fun (well to me anyway) as there is always a new challenge and one that none of us will never fully master.

Looking forward to seeing your next series.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:43 PM   #7

I love the K10, but autofocusing has been a problem with the Tamron 70-300. On these shots, I'm not sure if I had it in center point focusing; that's what I normally use, but the pattern of focusing would tend to suggest otherwise. I went back to the uncropped image on #1 and the player in the back who is clearly focused was well off the center point of the image.

These are not the only shots with which I have had problems with this lens on autofocus. I'm going to go back out this Sunday and experiment with a couple of other lenses to try to identify the problem.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:46 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Don't forget to give the camera to 'lock' onto the subject by tracking it for a couple of seconds as that will help. I used the Tamron 70-300 on my Konica Minolta 5D before switching to Canon and found that it did a pretty good job and AF was not an issue for field sports.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:36 PM   #9

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
I love the K10, but autofocusing has been a problem with the Tamron 70-300. On these shots, I'm not sure if I had it in center point focusing; that's what I normally use, but the pattern of focusing would tend to suggest otherwise. I went back to the uncropped image on #1 and the player in the back who is clearly focused was well off the center point of the image.

These are not the only shots with which I have had problems with this lens on autofocus. I'm going to go back out this Sunday and experiment with a couple of other lenses to try to identify the problem.

Oops sorry. I was not aware that you are using K10D. After looking at your pict again I am almost sure you have a backfocusing issue most likely with K10D and not Tamron. You need to dig into the debug menu of K10D and adjust it yourself. There have been extensive discussion in dpreview forum. I am pretty active in Pentax forum of Steve and dpreview .

I would suggest you post the pict again in Pentax forum for fine-tuning suggestion.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:21 PM   #10

Daniel,

I went to the dpreview threads on the subject of backfocusing and, after reading them, I hope that the problem is something other than a backfocusing problem. According to what I have read, the debug option to adjust for backfocus is not open to me since I have already upgraded the firmware to 1.20.

I'm going to do some experiments specifically dealing with the focus question, particularly on AF, because the thought of sending the camera back to Pentax to deal with it is not appealing.