Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1

did a couple of shots at the local radio controlled car club and ended up with a these

anyways enjoy

cheers
Lazy_B
Lazy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:03 PM   #2

The more I see pics of these cars the more it makes me want to shoot them! Great timing, especially at the speeds these little guys are hitting. If I may make one suggestion...get closer to the action- either with a longer lens or physically closer. Zoom in the cars so that theyre filling at least 2/3 of your viefinder and it'll take these shots to the next level. Oh, and one last thing...get your head out of the shot!:lol:Id love to see more if you have any.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 5:41 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad that you decided to post some shots as it's always the best way to get to know someone.

I've yet to shoot RC Cars but want to give it a go when I get a chance.

You have chosen a pretty hard activity to start shooting as you are working with a small very high speed subject and close distances meaning you have very fast panning speeds and the AF will be working overtime to try to keep up.

If you get a chance to shoot these again I would go for getting much lower to the track and use more zoom so you can frame tighter bringing the focus of the eye more onto your subject without the superfluous track and vehicles in the background.

The Sony H2 has a zoom range from 6 - 72mm (36-432mm in 35mm terms) and the most zoom you used was in the last one at only 7.3m (43mm equiv in 35mm) which is very wide. The more you zoom the harder it is to get a strong focus and also the harder it is to get the subject framed well but it will really be worth the effort. I'm not sure how fast the AF is on the Sony H2 and that is going to be the most limiting factor.

Sports shooting is one of the areas where kit is all important so you won't get the same results as someone with a DSLR but have a look at the fantastic work of radiocontrolguy for inspiration.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 1:02 PM   #4

thanks guys for the advice. will take it into account for next time, the problem with the H2 is that if you do zoom up to much then it goes out of focus which happened with another car i had a photo of. the second thing is i was standing outside of the track, So i couldn't get physically closer which kinda sucked. The DSLR is next on the shopping list

cheers
Lazy_B is offline   Reply With Quote