ckthegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 2:57 PM   #2

More to follow :-)
Old Jun 29, 2007, 3:34 PM   #3

Nice to see some tennis here.

Two suggestions if you're going back tomorrow:

1. Need to work on timing. Shots 3 & 4 are a good example - you don't have a fast enough frame rate in a sport like this to catch peak action if you miss it on the first shot. So you need to have better timing on the first shot. In this sequence the first shot was too early. Same with #11 the timing is way too early.

2. Need much tighter framing. I like the idea of atmosphere shots (showing the crowd) but these shots seem geared to capture the action and as such the action isn't filling enough of the frame. For example, shot #8 is probably the best action in the series but you've got a lot of extraneous background at the top of the frame. That should all be cropped out (preferably by tighter framing in-camera rather than crop because cropping almost always results in less detail) - you still want space below him to show the air he's getting but all the space above him is a waste. Or shots 3&4 again - the gallery behind her really doesn't add anything to the shot. I realize you can't do much to make the dof more shallow and blur it but you can still either frame tighter (or crop) so there isn't as much of the background in the frame.

Also, consider your framing. Shot #10 could be nice (with some sharpening applied) but everything is crowded in the right hand of the image with too much dead space to the left.

Here's an example of what I mean about having the action fill the frame (point 1 above):

Attached Images

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 9:36 AM   #4

man those are great shots!! i agree with johng, but i am glad you shared these!!great stuff, i'm not a big tennis fan, but your shots really make it exciting! i like the first alot, it may not be the perfect sports shot, but it is great, you get to see the player close up, and in the background the other courts!! way cool!!

and # 5 great catch did you know the big cannon lens was sticking outbehind the little wall?

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the comments guys. JohnG this is just a small selection of pics I took on the day. I've got more to post but I'll wait till after Wednesday - I'm going back to Wimbledon to take more photos Then I'll go through the lot and pp the decent ones. Treat them as work in progress
Old Jul 3, 2007, 1:57 AM   #6

Very nicely taken shots,, good job
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:33 PM   #7

Thanks Hercules :-)

Here are a few more from week 2...

Old Jul 13, 2007, 5:13 PM   #8

HI CK

Just came across the shots from Wimbledon and its nice to have see that someone actually managed not to get wet this summer ! I really liked No 3 and No 8 theyre really well taken in terms of the capturing thegames. I also liked 6,7 and 10 and the shots from week 2 are even better!

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:17 AM   #9

As a tennis player, I appreciate the shots you took. Even with the constructive criticism, i liked all of your shots.

I have yet to take sports shot but my goal when i am out will be to:
1) Keep in the background crowd to add perspective
2) Keep that ball in the frame. Nice to see the before action, during, and after!

Like in #4. I like watching the crowd watch the player.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:37 AM   #10

Thank you HarjTT and cgl. I'm still very much an amateur photographer (and that won't change any time soon!) so I'm still learning.