Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 1, 2007, 9:04 PM   #1

Jim Thome at Kauffman. 16x's total zoom from upper decks. This was my test day for my new Powershot A630. Liking it so far. I auto leveled and sharpened using photoshop.
Attached Images

harmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:16 PM   #2

Rather intimidating sight for the pitcher, I'm sure, watching Mr. Thome hold the bat out like a modern day Paul Bunyan using a tree as a toothpick, then assuming a stance by which he could launch an upper-decker.

I'm glad he's in the AL now...

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:09 PM   #3

The beautiful Kauffman Stadium. Sorry for having to scale it down in paint. Full view.
Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:16 PM   #4

Here's a broken bat shot. It's kinda hard to see after scaling it down for this website, but if you look in the aisle in the stads with a guy in red and 2 vendors in black/yellow, above the cable that holds the netting is the busted bat that John Buck shattered. This was taken at 4x's zoom from high up in the outfield bleachers, not too great quality, but pretty neat.
Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:40 PM   #5

Harmonica - really like the 2nd shot of kaufman.

The third shot is a bit too tight for me as it cuts off half the infield (although I'm guessing you had the camera at it's widest).

The shot of Thome looks like it was either heavily cropped or had significant noise reduction applied or used digital zoomas there is quite a bit of detail loss.

Thanks for sharing!! And glad you're liking the new camera
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:54 PM   #6

I'm still at the experimental phase, seeing what my cam can and can't do well. The Thome shot is 4x's optical zoom+ 4x's digital zoom, taken from the same seat as the stadium shot. I was amazed the pic came out at all, blew me away how good it looked for a digital zoom. Likewise, I wasn't really framing anything on the pick of the broken bat, just taking a general shot of the action. Can't wait to get back out there again. The hardest part is keeping the cam steady, I'm a shakey person. I use my knees as tripods when I'm able to.:G
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:19 PM   #7

harmonica wrote:
Quote:
The Thome shot is 4x's optical zoom+ 4x's digital zoom, taken from the same seat as the stadium shot. I
Everyone is different and we all have to find out what we like and don't like. In general though I would say only use digital zoom as a last resort - zoom with your feet instead. There is a big drop off in quality with digital zoom. Test for yourself at home - take a shot using full zoom plus digital zoom. Then turn off digital zoom and just move closer and take the shot again. You'll notice how big a dropoff there is when you use digital zoom.

As for keeping the camera steady. If your camera has a viewfinder, I'd suggest using that instead of the LCD on the back. Keeping the camera pressed to your face is a more stable than keeping it at arm's length. Of course you've already figured out that knees are a pretty good platform too
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote