Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:55 AM   #1

Some action shots today Canada Day Jul 1

This happens to be around to be in the picture as well

Very enjoyable day with mild sun and weather. Cannot complain at all

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:00 AM   #2

Daniel, some really nice shots. I like the saturation levels and sharpness, and you've done a good job of capturing some action. I think that pictures 1 and 4are particularly strong, but would benefit from cropping to a vertical orientation. In each case, there are significant distracting elements that could easily be removed with a judicious crop. In photo #1 the little boy in the red shirt on the left and the parent on the right neither add to the impact of the shot. In #4 you could easily remove the players in blue on each side who are simply standing watching the action.

In both of these pictures you have really good facial expressions from the players at the point of action, particularly in #4, a photo I really like.

Your EXIF was returning 0mm on focal length, so I assume you were using a manual focus lens?
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 6:10 AM   #3

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Daniel, some really nice shots.* I like the saturation levels and sharpness, and you've done a good job of capturing some action.* I think that pictures 1 and 4*are particularly strong, but would benefit from cropping to a vertical orientation.* In each case, there are significant distracting elements that could easily be removed with a judicious crop.* In photo #1 the little boy in the red shirt on the left and the parent on the right neither add to the impact of the shot.* In #4 you could easily remove the players in blue on each side who are simply standing watching the action.*

Your EXIF was returning 0mm on focal length, so I assume you were using a manual focus lens?*
I have been lazy not cropping out distraction. I was using a Pentax prime lens A300mmF4 . Thanks for taking time to comment.

Daniel
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:30 PM   #4

Hey Daniel! Good to see your work again. These are great soccer shots. I especially like the 1st and 2nd shots. I also like the seagull bif of course!

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:36 PM   #5

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Hey Daniel! Good to see your work again. These are great soccer shots. I especially like the 1st and 2nd shots. I also like the seagull bif of course!

- Hung
Hi Royce,

Long time no see. I am nowhere near comfortable handling fast action shots particularly BIF. For my manual A (300mm only) lens, seagulls are good practice subject.
I am still poor in cropping (or the lack thereof) & framing. A long way in learning the trick.
I thought I might get a earful posting in this forum. Well people are still nice here though.

Daniel, Toronto
p.s. some cropping done Jul 4
Old Jul 2, 2007, 3:44 PM   #6

Daniel,

You've caught some good action here. As you've already guessed, though, they could benefit from tighter framing/cropping. They also could benefit from shallower DOF - both by getting closer to the action (or letting the action get closer to you) so the action fills more of the frame - and by using a wider aperture. That's going to be a real challenge with a manual focus lens but right now the backgrounds are a bit of an issue.

Thanks for sharing!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:59 PM   #7

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Daniel,

You've caught some good action here.* As you've already guessed, though, they could benefit from tighter framing/cropping.** They also could benefit from shallower DOF - both by getting closer to the action (or letting the action get closer to you) so the action fills more of the frame - and by using a wider aperture.* That's going to be a real challenge with a manual focus lens but right now the backgrounds are a bit of an issue.

Thanks for sharing!
A couple of shots today with cropping (as advised) and slightly shallower DoF. That is tricky for a manual 300mm lens.

He is certainly holding the ball while his sister were at the background. Obviously jealous of his sister getting more attention than him

Daniel