Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:54 AM   #1

I gave it a go with this new team but it ended abruptly due to rain. The weather was quite dull and overcast but I managed a few shots before I decided to call it for another day.

The hits this guy took was pretty vicious.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:55 AM   #2

The run back with the opponent quite ready to unload on the ball carrier.
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:07 PM   #3

Love the first shot... it looks really good in B&W, really caught some action and even the look on that guys face as he is smashed with some shoulder pads.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"In the second shot, I like how you caught the sense of determination in #45's eyes, but it looks a bit overexposed and oversaturated to me, but I am not a pro by far, so I might be wrong.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Can't wait for football season to really pick up... I love looking at the photo's on here and I really like attempting to come up with shots half as good as yours!
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:22 PM   #4

Yeah, I like the first shot. Different and well done. In both shots, I'm not a big fan of the slow shutter speeds - I think you get some un-needed blur as a result. I like the concept of the second shot but I might suggest trying a vertical crop and isolating the runner and defender. The trailing blocker is more of a distraction - the focus is the defender's face. Eliminating the blocker from the image would, IMO, draw more attention to that subject. I do agree the colors look a bit oversaturated in this shot - especially given the lighting conditions.

Glad to see some football! Can't wait to get out and shoot it again myself
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments. I do like the first one as is but I agree on the slower shutter speed. I was trying it out to see what I could get away with and was going to bump up to 1/500th and so forth but the weather took a turn for the worse.

I will also admit that I did boost the saturation a bit much for the second shot upon another look and the comments made. I also agree with the crop recommendation as well.

I don't shoot football much but this year will change all that. It is nice to see some football at this level where I live.

John G. it goes without saying that I look forward to your football shots this year as I have enjoyed them the past couple of years.

Thanks for the C&C.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:42 AM   #6
Administrator

Just to make sure you know about it.. You had Exposure Compensation set to expose it 2/3 stop brighter (and since you were shooting in Aperture Priority Mode at ISO 200 and f/2.8, it used slower shutter speeds to get the brighter exposure)

So, your Exposure Compensation setttings caused the overexposure and slower shutter speeds than the camera would have used (you'd have gotten faster shutter speeds shooting the same way if you had not bumped up the Exposure Compensation settings using the same ISO speed and aperture).

You may want to consider using a higher ISO speed, too (you'd have only been at around 1/400 second with no Exposure Compensation set for that second shot at f/2.8 and ISO 200). That's better than 1/250 (what you got). But, ISO 400 would have gotten you around 1/800 second at f/2.8 if you had not used any Exposure Compensation (and you could stop the aperture down a tad from wide open using a higher ISO speed for a bit sharper images, while still keeping relatively fast shutter speed).

That D200 should be pretty good if you used something higher than ISO 200, especially in daylight.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote