Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:52 PM   #1

Yes, it's that time of year agin. Well conditions were tough - very bright light, white jerseys - ugh! But who cares - it's football again!

C&C always welcome:

8. Nice interception...

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:14 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Fantastic, looks like you and your MkIII are becoming good friends, it also seems that the dynamic range of the MkIII is better than the 20D as you rightly say you are working in really hard conditions with bright sun, white and black kit and even so the results are strong.

As for a fave shot I would go for 7 as I like the sand being thrown up during the tackle.

Oh, now you've had a few chances to use it in anger how are you finding the focus, is there a problem in the way it's been reported especially when it is hot?

Great start to the season.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:36 AM   #3

Thanks Mark.

As to the 'sand' - it isn't sand, they're black pellets. This is a newer kind of artificial turf - designed to be more grasslike. The pellets I would GUESS add a bit of softness and maybe help with drainage - I really need to ask someone who knows though - it feels great though. Much better than cement with think carpeting I remember from back in my day.

To be honest Mark, from my perspective there is no focus problem with the camera. But I'm coming from a 20d and not a mk II N. As I stated in my other thread the biggest thing I saw was a need to adjust the front/back focus of my lens. I actually tested out 4 lenses - 2 required adjustment and two did not. All in all, I'm very, very happy. The latest firmware improved LCD sharpness so that's good. The only remaining issue is the camera exposes too WARM indoors in my house. The AWB, flash and sunlight (I actually used sunlight wb with my flash on the 20d and got very good results) are all too warm. So, now I set a Kelvin when using my flash indoors. My problem is remembering to turn it off

But after 4,000 pics I'm confident the mk III is focusing very consistently. Again without having used the IIN I can't say it's better or worse. In this case I think ignorance is bliss.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:09 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm glad it is going well for you, and I wish that I was in the same boat and able to have that ignorance LOL. Can't wait to see how the rest of the season goes.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:29 AM   #5

oooh johng!!! those are fantastic, i am studing them, as i have finally have a connection to go take some shots of high school football here. man those are (like tony the tiger says) grrrrrrrrreat!!!!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:29 PM   #6

John,

Great captures here. I am going to enjoy football even more keeping an eye on your upcoming season.

I noticed the playing surface and I for one am not a real fan of it. I played on it here in Wisconsin (soccer) and all the years I played(35)I had one serious injury, a ruptured achilles tendon but that was indoors on a hardwood surface.

On this surface I blew out my ACL and shredded my medial meniscus and the medial collateral ligament was stretched a bit. I have since rehabbed and continue to play but never on this kind of surface ever again.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:43 PM   #7

I'm with you - I definitely prefer grass - it's safer. Not to mention I LOVE mud bowls - playing in them, watching them, photographing them. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, dome stadiums in the pros should be outlawed. The superbowl should be played in alternating stadiums - national league on year american the next. If that happens to be Green Bay or Chicago - then so be it.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:02 PM   #8

John, great shots. I'm looking forward to trying football for the first time in a couple of weeks.

vIZnquest, your comments make me almost happy we ran out of money before we could pull out our grass stadium turf, which is outstanding, and replace it with the turf. I was really skeptical about how the turf would do for the cutting required in soccer and have resisted playing matches on the road where we would have to play on the turf.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:32 PM   #9

From what I understand those black pellets are ground up tires. Stuff gets in your socks and shoes. Yuck. I like dirt. No, I love dirt. Of course, covered in grass. No one ever heard of turf toe during the days before artificial surfaces.

I am ready for some FOOTBALL!!

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:12 AM   #10

Thanks guys!

For those just starting out in football shooting my advice is: Get as many shots / practice in as you can EARLY in the season if you're shooting night games.

Also, don't forget to pay attention to players besides the quarterback and running back. It's easy to focus on just them since they have the ball the majority of the time. But unlike other sports there is often some nice action among the other players. To that end, make sure you capture BOTH sides of a given line (also depends on how the offensive / defensive schemes work) - so that you get both the left and right tackle etc.

Also one hint if you want to capture receptionsON'T look through the viewfinder - watch the quarterback with your eyes and see where they're looking. Most HS quarterbacks aren't good enough to look off defenders and check-off to 2nd and 3rd receivers. They tend to look to the place (if timing route) or receiver they are throwing to. When you see where they're looking then find the receiver and start tracking them. You'll see them react when the ball is getting close - i.e. they put their hands out to catch the ball. If you're framed loosely you'll be able to time the shot better because you'll see the ball enter the frame. The downside is the quality won't be very good because you framed loosely. If you frame tightly you'll get a better quality shot but your timing might be a bit off because you can't react to the ball entering the frame. In any event, the important thing is to track the receiver rather than tracking the quarterback and then switching to the receiver or trying to track the ball (which will lead to poor focus on the receiver). Sure you end up following the wrong receiver sometimes but you'll get it right a couple of times and end up with much better shots. That's my experience anyway. For me, the catch is probably the toughest shot to capture in football.