Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:14 AM   #11

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Thanks DRGSin,

I did my typical PP: crop, sharpen (some color adjustment) and very slight noise reduction. I really am stoked with the processing in this camera - the color and lack of noise is asstounding. Shots at ISO 2000 have less noise than my 20D had at ISO 800 - and the 20D had awesome noise performance.
The level of noise...thats the info I was looking for, thanks.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:32 PM   #12

John,

Don't make me go buy that camera of yours.:-) I'm settling in on the 30D & 40D and you start telling us about noise reduction.LOL I would love to have that camera. Again great job and the photos and PP; Hurry up Canon....

Bob
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:43 PM   #13

Bob,

I think you should wait and take a strong look at the Nikon D300 vs. 40D. The D300 seems like a great camera on paper - professional grade AF system - that's worth the extra $500 to a sports shooter. As is the ability to adjust focus for a given lens as is ISO 6400. If both the D300 and 40D behave as good in real life as they look on paper, the D300 looks to be a much better camera for only $500 more. But you have to wait and see how they both perform in the real world.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:26 PM   #14

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Bob,

I think you should wait and take a strong look at the Nikon D300 vs. 40D. The D300 seems like a great camera on paper - professional grade AF system - that's worth the extra $500 to a sports shooter. As is the ability to adjust focus for a given lens as is ISO 6400. If both the D300 and 40D behave as good in real life as they look on paper, the D300 looks to be a much better camera for only $500 more. But you have to wait and see how they both perform in the real world.
That's the hard part waiting John. My daughter starts middle school basketball in 2 weeks. I'm almost ready to pull the plug on buying the 40D when Nikon announced the D300. I'm glad to hear you say wait. That makes me feel a little better because I know you are a Canon guy. I'm little concerned about buying all the Nikon lens and then having Canon come out with something better. (after I buy the D300) :sad: I remember you telling me and others to buy into a system. Which is what I'm trying to do. I have been asking a ton of questions on here and in person about canon's system. Heck I feel like I'm training for a canon job because of all the interviewing I've done. I see the price difference which is not that much more for me ($500). I wonder if I could rent a camera for 2 month's? Anyway Thank you and others for all the feed back I receive from this site. It's priceless!!!

Bob
Old Aug 29, 2007, 2:15 PM   #15

Bob,

If it's any consolation, Canon is on an 18 month product cycle. So it will be 2009 before they release another mid range camera for sports shooters. The next model out for canon will be a replacement for the 5d - which will be full frame and not targeted to the sports shooter. So I think the 40D and D300 are the cream of the crop for now. The good news is: Canon and Nikon are the 2 biggest players - really the only current players in the advanced sports shooting arena right now. Sony may be able to capitalize on some Minolta technology but the lens offering is limited so I think they're a good 3 years away from being a major player if they even target that market.

So, whether you go with the 40d or d300 you'll be fine (assuming both cameras work as advertised. But my advice is select one of those two - there isn't another camera out there that will come close to what those 2 can do for a prosumer sports shooter.

Only you can decide if you want to miss photos for the first half of your daughter's season though as the D300 doesn't look to be available until probably October. No one else can put a cost on those lost shots besides you. But if you can wait - that focus system should be worth it. Either way you'll have a camera more than capable of meeting your needs. I shot and made money for 2 years with the 20D - the 40D is 2 generations better so I'm sure it will be quite up to the task you have.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:02 PM   #16

John,

Let's see what happens in a couple weeks.Maybe I can borrow a camera or buy a used back up. You have giving me good advice so I will wait a few more weeks. I did have another question for you. I never asked you what flash card you use and what tripod you use. Also do you use a high speed card reader to your computer or external hard drive? Which brand?
Thanks again John.

Bob
Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:05 PM   #17

Let's see - I use Sandisk Extreme III cards - a 4gb and two 2gb cards. I have a SanDisk USB2 card reader. I have 200gb internal hard drive. Right now I just back up to DVD rather than another hard drive.

I use a Manfrotto monopod for sports - I'd have to check the model number

I have a manfrotto tripod 3021BPro with 488RC4 ballhead.

Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:40 PM   #18

Thanks john, Those card should work ok in the two cameras I'm considering right? What do you think of the new lexar (sp) 800 firewire unit?

Bob
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:19 AM   #19

Bob,

I too am waiting for the D300 to come out -- should be just what I've been waiting for. I'm moving over to Nikon from Olympus. I picked up a used (but perfect condition) D50 for $400 to use until the D300 comes out, and when it does, I'll have a compatable backup. Perhaps doing the same would allow you to not miss out on the first half of your daughter's season.

-Sean

Sean Schult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 9:56 AM   #20

Sean,

Thanks, that sounds like a plan. Where did you find the D50? I have a another problem. All my research at this point has been for canon lens. Have not got a clue on what lens to get now. Thanks for your input too.

Bob