Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:12 AM   #1

Hope you enjoy, and as always, C&C welcomed...help me learn.

2-should I have cropped #64 in order to get rid of all the blue on the far right side?

3-same here...crop tighter? too much dead space on the left?

Thanks for looking.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:58 AM   #2

Ok peeps, whats up? I know these are far from perfect, yet no comments? Have I rubbed someone the wrong way or something or shouldI quit my day job and travel the country shootingpre High school football??:?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:06 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Did you just bump your own thread!!! :ak47::blah:

Well I for one hadn't even spotted this one so didn't reply, however also notice that again as a forum people are replying less and less.

Firstly great colours here but possibly very slightly under exposed for the faces, but probably only 1/3 or 1/2EV.

For me the dead space on the left in 2 and 3 is not a problem, but in 3 I would get rid of some at the bottom.

Personally I like slightly tighter crops in general, however taking one as an example it is OK as it give context to the action. For me getting in tight on the runner and number 21 would be the best landscape shot. I would also look at getting some more portrait shots to match the shape of the players running.

Good work though!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:15 AM   #4

Heck yea I bumped my own post! :blah:Silly of me not to whenI get such useful critiques. Besides, I wanted to make sure I didnt inadvertantly tick someone off.

Iclearly see the need for a tighter crop on #3...now. How could I have missed that!? As far as the -1/3 EV...how in the world could I determine that while shooting? Surely such small amounts dont show up on the histogram...do they? Should I automatically bracket or just post process the difference? In the real world, when you guys shoot a jobunder tight time constrains with no time to post process do you bracket your exposures on all the shots? Thanks for looking by the way! :-)
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:18 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Nope it is hard with exposure and JohnG is probably the best to chip in on this as I've only just the last week shot my first outdoor daytime games with manual. This allowed me to get pretty close but not 100% so a little tweak was needed for a couple to bring them up. I think there were some that I didn't do properly so it is a do as I say not as I do situation LOL. I'm not sure if John has seen my hockey ones has he hasn't jumped on my for anything or spotted my manual settings.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:14 AM   #6

DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
In the real world, when you guys shoot a jobunder tight time constrains with no time to post process do you bracket your exposures on all the shots? Thanks for looking by the way! :-)
What exactly is your situation where you don't have time to post-process? Are you doing on-site printing? I'm very curious - that's really the only real world situation I can think of where time is too critical to post process. Even then, there are standard post processing you can do before printing.

But in general to answer your question - I don't bracket. The idea is to set exposure as good as possible to get faces. You're always going to run into situations where some faces are a bit bright and some too dim because of the helmet and how much light is getting in - etc. No way to nail it perfectly when helmets are involved. So, the dodge and burn tool become your friends.

In all honesty this post just slipped by me. It may seem like I comment on every one but sometims I miss one or two :G

I like the first shot, but I would be interested in what other shots in the sequence show. For instance, the current crop has several defenders in it but 21 & 64 aren't really doing anything yet. So, are they doing something a second later? In other words, you've got a nice stance on the runner but don't have peak action. So if you want to highlight the runner than crop down on him. If you want the interaction with the defense you need a shot where the defenders are closer to being involved in the play.

I like the second shot but the most interesting part is the face on the right - I can't tell if it's OOF or just a bit dark but the face of the player on the ground is nice and clear just less interesting. Second and third are a good illustration of why it's preferable to shoot portrait orientation though. Look at both shots - the key components take up more vertical space than horizontal. Try a vertical crop on #3 - even if you crop off part of 64s leg it's OK - you want emphasis on the action - so that leg and the extraneous players on the right of the frame can go - the action is the hit and the player on the ground.

You've got nice colors and nice sharpness so the technical aspects are coming together nicely. Now it's a matter of timing/shot selection and orientation/cropping.

Nicely done!

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:08 PM   #7

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
In the real world, when you guys shoot a jobunder tight time constrains with no time to post process do you bracket your exposures on all the shots? Thanks for looking by the way! :-)
Quote:
What exactly is your situation where you don't have time to post-process? Are you doing on-site printing? I'm very curious - that's really the only real world situation I can think of where time is too critical to post process. Even then, there are standard post processing you can do before printing.
Quote:
[glow=red]Yes, that is what Im in the process of trying to determine-whether or not itd be feasible to do.[/glow]
Quote:
But in general to answer your question - I don't bracket. The idea is to set exposure as good as possible to get faces. You're always going to run into situations where some faces are a bit bright and some too dim because of the helmet and how much light is getting in - etc. No way to nail it perfectly when helmets are involved. So, the dodge and burn tool become your friends.

In all honesty this post just slipped by me. It may seem like I comment on every one but sometims I miss one or two :G
Quote:

I like the first shot, but I would be interested in what other shots in the sequence show. For instance, the current crop has several defenders in it but 21 & 64 aren't really doing anything yet. So, are they doing something a second later? In other words, you've got a nice stance on the runner but don't have peak action. So if you want to highlight the runner than crop down on him. If you want the interaction with the defense you need a shot where the defenders are closer to being involved in the play.
Quote:
[glow=red]The 3 shots are in sequence-showing the play as it developed.[/glow]

I like the second shot but the most interesting part is the face on the right - I can't tell if it's OOF or just a bit dark but the face of the player on the ground is nice and clear just less interesting. Second and third are a good illustration of why it's preferable to shoot portrait orientation though. Look at both shots - the key components take up more vertical space than horizontal. Try a vertical crop on #3 - even if you crop off part of 64s leg it's OK - you want emphasis on the action - so that leg and the extraneous players on the right of the frame can go - the action is the hit and the player on the ground.
Quote:
[shadow=red]Man, I didnt see that until you mentioned it. Im thinking I need to step back and see the "whole" picture! [/shadow]

You've got nice colors and nice sharpness so the technical aspects are coming together nicely. Now it's a matter of timing/shot selection and orientation/cropping.

Nicely done!
Quote:
[shadow=red]Thanks so much, both of you, for the helpful insight. Your replies are precisely why I bumped. Cant promise I wont do it again...unless its against house rules of course.[/shadow]

Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:02 PM   #8

wow!! i'm impressed!! i am a complete novice but these are great. i tried a little league football game this past saturday and although i was pleasantly surprised, i have a long way to go. my main interest is basketball as my daughter plays and her sister before her. talk about tough shooting. our gym lighting isn't great.

yeah! answers are kind of scarce here compared to what they were last year! i asked a question about lenses in the minolta dslr forum and while a very nice guy answered, Jim and Mark were conspicuously absent! jim, i hope you are reading this and go there!:blah:

do you mind if i ask what camera and lens you used?
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:58 PM   #9

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
do you mind if i ask what camera and lens you used?
The EXIF data shows it was a Nikon D1X and a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 G Series, at 195mm, f/4.0, 1/1600", ISO 400.

Mark1616 turned me onto Opanda IEXIF, a webbrowser plug-in for displaying the EXIF data of JPEG images in webpages. (See http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/ )
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:04 PM   #10

you gots all kind of info, tcav!:G

thanks for your reply on my lens ??'s
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote