Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:30 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

It's the day I've been looking forward to for a while the first friendly pre season warm up matches so took the opportunity to get some shots in. I was really sad as the woman's match I turned up to cover first hadbeen moved forward so I missed that

Anyway I did manage to shoot some of the (not so good looking) men's games and here are some of my faves from the day.

Oh JohnI finally gave in and shot manual for the first time for a game not under the lights and in general I would say things were better, I definitely have had to do less editing to get them ready for web presentation, still a little to do for ordering but not a big issue. I also used manual white balance presets rather than AWB and that has also helped...... hmmm why wasn't I doing this earlier???? :whack:

OK here we go, Canon 30D with Sigma 120-300mm f2.8, some with Sigma 1.4TC.

Mark

9 Not sure where too look..... don't worry the ball is already in the back of the net.

12 When the play is in the other half just take it easy!!

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2007, 7:20 AM   #2

Spectacular shots, as always, Mark. I wouldn't pretend to understand the game, but I can appreciate the quality of the photos.

I do have a question, though. The expressions and postures of the players in #2 would tend to indicate that the action is some sort of set piece, analogous to a corner kick in soccer. Soccer referees are trained to focus on the likely points of contact, i.e. in front of the goal, on a set piece since it's not likely a foul, or a dramatic piece of action, will come from an unopposed touch. Thus, in this shot, the focus point would probably be the near post. Would you think this would be a good rule in shooting set pieces sicne you might not be able to get refocused in the instance of a rapidly developing scoring opportunity? #2 is a good, crisp shot of the guy starting the play, but the real action is likely to be where the ball is going.

Favorite shots in the series......1,3,8, & 9.

BTW....that pitch looks incredible. Is the turf artificial, or just that well maintained?
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 7:53 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Last question first, the pitch is artificial, hockey is no longer played on a field rather AstroTurf and is either sand or water based (water is more fun IMHO).

You are right that is a set piece (a short corner)and as I'm shooting to sell a range of shots some I will get the corner taker, other times the receiver (it has to be received outside of the D so you know where it is going and other times the players rushing out of the goal and then I will focus on the keeper after the initial rush.

This is the shot prior to the first one posted again from a short corner.

Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:02 AM   #4

Good explanation. Thanks.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:47 AM   #5
Super Moderator

You're welcome.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:48 AM   #6

Great shots. Ive never seen this sport played butI imagine its fast paced, right? Is that ball as hard as Lacrosse ball?
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:37 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Oh yes, it's solid and pretty heavy (I've been hit quite a few times) so you know about it. As for being fast yes, with the weight of the ball they can move it around quickly.

Check this one out, it is the best youtube field hockey vid I've found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqGum...ted&search= also look at the slow motion replays of the goals, this is the only way to see how fast everything is really happening.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:24 AM   #8

Mark,

Nice work!

I like 1 & 2 actually. For whatever reason I just like the players in the background of #2. Not much action, but I really like the shot because of what those in the background are doing.

Glad manual is working for you. What's funny is I had to go the other way. shooting soccer under the lights I had to go back to AV - the lighting was just too uneven. While sun was still out I still prefer manual exposure because of the darned white jerseys screwing up the metering but on this particular field it seemed like AV was giving better results at night. Guess the moral of the story is: there is no single right way to do things in any given situation.

I've never tried custom WB outdoors. I have noticed with the mkIII that when the sun is at an angle (i.e. setting) the camera really over does it on the red channel. So I had to create an action to reduce the red channel

Anyway - great job here.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Thanks John, the 2nd shot is the closest to a staged one as you can get in hockey so I have a couple of these for each game as you have a lot of time to get set up and have a full frame telling the story.

Custom WB in conjunction with M has really reduced the PP time for me which is always a good thing.

Not sure if I've mentioned but as part of my longing to go full time in photography I'm looking at setting up on site printing for sports events. The is not a company too close to me offering this and the one that is about 50 miles away does not produce good work so as long as I can get marketing right I should be OK. Again not looking at this going live for a year but working on business plan etc now to make sure it is all viable.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:12 PM   #10

hi mark,

those are fantastic shots!! my favorite is #12. and here is why, i used to play ice hockey (defense), and i had a team mate who would NEVER pass the puck, so i would stand just like that!! and one day he asked why i do that, so i told him!! hahahahahahahaha awesome work mark!!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote