Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:56 PM   #1

Today's tennis match was less than spectacular for my team. In fact, even the best shot of the day was of an opponent.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2

Posting this one not because I considered it a great shot, but because it's of a young lady whose work many of you have seen in this forum. This is the young lady who shoots soccer while I am coaching, Marcella. She has decided not to shoot football on the nights I'm in the booth doing PA.....something to do with very large football players in pads at high speed and a short lens that requires close work on the sidelines......:G
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:41 AM   #3
Super Moderator

In that case I won't comment on the 2nd one, however the first is a good capture and lovely and sharp. You still have your camera set to under expose by one stop so you need to get rid of that.

Also you can get rid of some noise by opening up the aperture more from the f8 and dropping the ISO a little.

You definitely are getting some nice shots now, just a shame your team weren't making the good ones.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:01 AM   #4

Nice shot Trojan. Ball in pic, good facial expression ,great timing, nice clarity. Its nice towitnessyour evolution. Your hard work is paying off.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:30 AM   #5

Mark, you're right about #2 hardly meriting discussion from a purely photographic standpoint, but it does point out something that I'm having a mechanical problem with. When I use an older, manual lens (in this case a K-mount 135mm f2.8 prime), I have trouble getting the camera to read that I've stepped the lens down and it consistently overexposes. In some lighting conditions, I can make it work just fine, but in brightest sun (which was the case on this photo), I haven't mastered it yet.

Thus, I switched to a 70-300 f4-5.6 Tamron lens, which was used on photo #1. I went down to f8 because I was metering an overexposure even at 1/4000. In addition, I have been told this lens is sharpest in that range, rather than wide open. The failure to drop the ISO for the changing conditions can be laid squarely on the back of a novice photographer still trying to remember everything. I get so used to pushing for more light that I tend to forget there are times I don't need that much, lol.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:34 AM   #6
Super Moderator

You are right about the lens being sharper at f8-f11 however, the finished result that you capture will be better if open up the aperture to f5.6 when fully zoomed. When I had that lens on my Konica Minolta 5D (going back a while) when shooting aperture priority I would zoom to the widest and set f4 then when you zoom in the aperture will drop to f5.6 and then zooming out it should go back to f4 so no matter what thefocal length you are getting the widest aperture thus fastest shutter and also shallowest dof.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:21 PM   #7

hi trojan,

the first shot is awesome! man you are working really hard with all the manual focusing!! i agree with mark, make the aperture as big as possible!! keep up the great work!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote