Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 8, 2007, 3:12 PM   #1

Hi all this is my first outing with my new lens, found it much faster focusing but still missed a lot , will have to practise a lot more!! any advice is most welcome!. Kind regards Graham.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2007, 3:51 PM   #2

nice work Graham. What's the new lens?

Really like 3 & 6. 7 is the only one I don't like - looks oversharpened. The rest are looking really good!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:07 PM   #3

Hard not to agree with John on this verdict, although I really like the action in #7. My eyes are immediately drawn to the expression of the player in gold in #1. There's sort of a dazed look that makes you wonder if the ball being played off an unexpected collision with the gold player's head. I also like the facial expression in #5 although it is somewhat compromised by shadow.

Nice shooting.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:51 PM   #4

Great action shots and tremendous expressions. Tha lens is a keeper...what kind is it and what type of camera are you using ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:15 PM   #5

those are great, thats a pretty narrow depth of field for a f4! awesome!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:47 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

Trojensoc, thanks, Yes the ball had bounced of the defender(gold) and the man in green tryed a overhead scissor kick i cought him flipping but no ball:sad:, disadvantage of only having a3 FPS drive!!

Airbrushjohn, thanks , the lens's dof is great:-)

JohnG & lesmore49, thankk you,

The camera is a Nikon D100 and the lens is a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG Macro + Sigma 1.4T converter, i'm really pleased with it and looking forward to the new season (this was the first one, the local team is in green and they won 3-2). pic is of 3rd goal celibration. Kind regards Graham.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:38 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Really glad you are enjoying the new lens, this is the lens I used to start with for more serious sports shooting and it did me proud.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"John (of the airbrush variety), don't forget when looking at dof, it is a function of focal length, aperture and distance from subject. To reduce the dof you can do one or all of these, use longer focal length, wider aperture or get closer to the subject. Now the D100 is a 1.5x crop camera and the Olympus system is 2x so when you are using 200mm the D100 is having to use 266mm to get the same framing, thus if you both had the same aperture the D100 has quite a reduced dof in comparison. Thus ends Sunday'slens technology lesson LOL :blah:
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote