Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:35 AM   #1

Gave it a go once again but it was blazin' hot so I bailed before the half. Straight from camera, crop, resize, slight sharpen. Used D200 bodies, one with Nikon80-200mm 2.8 and the other with the Tamron 70-300mm 4.0-5.6.
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:35 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:36 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:36 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:37 AM   #5

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:37 AM   #6

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:38 AM   #7

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:38 AM   #8

Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:42 PM   #9

I am surprised to not have one comment on any of these shots.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:11 PM   #10

Overall some very nice shots. Faces are a little underexposed for my tastes in most cases but that's a preference. I'd rather blow jersey highlights and see faces - others hate blowing highlights. All the shots are reasonably sharp and you've got nice tight framing so that's good. But you know me by now - there's almost always something I think could be improved on :G

shot 1: Nice and sharp but not much going on. No nice action - no nice expression. It's a sharp photo but not an interesting one.

shot 2: the photo suffers from having two competing subjects - the block and whatever strange facial expression the runner has going on. I'm assuming this shot was cropped from something larger. My recommendation is to choose a subject to be the focus. The runner is at the edge of the frame but his face draws attention. IF the block is the subject, try some dodging to bring out details from the shadows. As a whole the timing on this shot is a bit early for my tastes - having the runner equal to the blocker (i.e. getting through the hole) would be better - as it is he isn't through yet so it could have closed down (or not).

shot 3: faces. This is tough - especially with dark skin on a bright day. But the subject in this shot is the defender trying to grasp the runner. The runner is already by your position so of little interest except to give context to the shot. So since there isn't great action you need a face to make the shot work. See if you can pull a face out of the shadows on the defender.

Shot 4: nice shot on your part. The hand on the crotch makes the shot look akward. Nothing you did wrong - but otherwise a nicely timed shot - good action and you have an expression.

shot 5: nice shot. it might be a bit soft (tough to tell at this size so I could be wrong). If it looks sharper at a larger size it's the best of the bunch, IMO

shot 6: This type of shot has two possible approaches to it: Go for expression of the runner as he sees the defender - in which case you need better detail of the face or get the hit. The shot is too early for the hit so not capturing action. But with the current crop the backside of the defender dominates. The backside of any football player is generally not interesting. So you generally want the focus to be on the player facing you. So a different crop which puts more emphasis on the runner's reacion (if there is any) to the defender and again lighten the face so we can see some details.

shot 7: faces - otherwise no real action going on here

shot 8: again with the faces

Don't let my critique get you down though. These are pretty good shots - you've got sharpness down and tight framing down. Now it's a matter of timing your shots and getting interesting shots (usually interesting means great action, emotion or expressions - you want to see the emotion in their eyes). That's the next step - going from good shots to great shots. Good job. And, keep up the work! Look forward to seeing more from you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote