Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:04 PM   #1

:|I've read the reviews and I'm very interested in buying the s700 for my sons Football Pics. Does anyone have any samples of sports action photos from the fugi?
SCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's!

I don't think there is anyone here who has shot with such a beast. There is one guy who used to shoot with a Fuji S6000 so not totally the same as the lens is different etc but here are a couple of posts he made with that one

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82

What are you looking to do, are the shots for yourself (I guess so) or for others as well?

You are going to get some OK shots with such a camera however you are going to struggle with the pretty slow AF speeds, slow continuous shot speed and lastly the slight shutter lag. None of the bridge range of cameras is going to be great for sports and as soon as you are under the lights you might as well put them away. There is a huge jumpin price to get the basic quality of a bridge camera to the quality you get from a dSLR with a lens gearedfor sport where you can also shoot under lights.

Don't want to be negative just want to let you know what to expect.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks. I Just haven't found anything money wise that I can afford at this time that has the Zoom needed for the distance shots in Football. Fortunatly I live in Arizona so the games still have quite a bit of sun during the first half. Yes the Pics are just for family albums.The pictures you sent looked great. Is there a huge difference between these 2 cameras? How doesthe s700do with action? Think I'll need a tripod? Your speaking with a complete amature photographer so all help is appreciated:-)
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:05 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Tripod... no, not a help asnot flexible enough, although a mono pod might be in low light as it is less bulky (I use one quite a lot). In good light I would not bother as you don't have much weight to worry about at all.

I've had a look at the reviews to try and find out but can't really tell. The lens look a bit brighter on the S700 (well at everything apart from wide angle) so that will mean you can get more light into it allowing higher shutter speeds which is good.

If you can get your hands on them then ask if you can shoot people walking past the shop. If your child is keen then get them to have a run around while you shoot. As you are a beginner then go for the sports mode and shoot away. One thing I like about the 6000 over the 700 is that the zoom is mechanical (you twist the lens like on most SLR's) rather than a switch.

Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:19 PM   #5

Why is mechanical zoom better? Is it quicker?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Yes, faster and also more accurate. If you are tracking something and you want to zoom slowly you can but the normal way an electrical one works is to start slow then go fast if you keep the zoom pressed.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:24 PM   #7

Hmmm Looks like I need to do more research. It doesn't seem there's a huge difference in pricing between the 2. Which is good. Thanks for all your help. I love this site. I'm sure I'll be back on soon needing help when i figure out which camera to get.Thanks again
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:28 PM   #8
Super Moderator

You're welcome. There is always a trade off as we have seen the lens on the 700 is going to be better in low light or just getting a faster shutter speed, the 6000 has a better zoom mech. As for other features I can't say.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:52 PM   #9

As the "guy who used toshoot withan s6000," as Mark referred to me, I just gotta put my two cents in here. SCarter, were I never shooting under the lights, and had I never come to this forum and had my expectations raised, I would still be happily clicking along with my Fuji s6000. Of course, had it not been for folks within the Steve's community, I never would have known how good the Fuji was to begin with.

Each of the negatives about the Fuji that Mark mentioned is true--slow focus speed, slow and small burst mode buffer (continuous shooting mode), and most importantly, shutter lag. However, the same can be said of any point and shoot camera on the market.

I am not as familiar with the s700 as the s6000, but I think they are fairly comparable in price, and I think they share the same sensor. You can check on this on the Fuji forum on this site. However, for shooting sports, I would strongly recommend the s6000 over just about any other P & S on the market. It will not hold with a DSLR and a high-quality lens, but you're talking at least 1/5 the price of a DSLR and a good sports lens.

Reasons I like the Fuji: 1) an excellent 6MP sensor--I like it better than the 10 MP sensor in the s9100 because fewer pixels crammed into the same size sensor gives generally better color and far better low-light performance 2) After using electronic super zoom cameras for several years, I can unequivocally argue for the manual zoom of the s6000. It's faster, more accurate, and much easier to use once you get used to it. 3) low-light performance--the s6000 is very usable up through ISO 1600 and can be shot at ISO 3200. This makes it possible to shoot under the lights, although you are not going to get DSLR quality, and motion blur is a significant problem. I'm attaching a night shot under stadium lights to give you an idea.

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:08 PM   #10

Trojan soc, Thanks for all the great info. AlsoNice Pictures.