Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:28 PM   #1

I used the sport setting on the Olympus E-500. If anyone can give me pointers on how to set the aperture I would appreciate it.
Attached Images

yearbook advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 9:06 PM   #2

hello,

i have the e-500 also, when you get a chance take a look at my tennis pics.

here is the deal with the 500. and i am just passing on some knowledge that i have learned here in the sports section. from some awesome sports photographers!!

please foget all the program modes that you have on that camera, i got stuck on those and couldn't figure anything out. for sports use the aperture mode, always have it at its biggest(smallest # 2.8 is larger than 3.5) i don't know what lenses you have. if you have the kit lenses use the 40-150mm 3.5-4.5 this is not the fatsest lens for sports, but you can learn alot with this lens, i bought the 50-200mm 2.8-3.5, was it worth it? i think so! yo can get some really nice shots with your 40-150 but it will take some practice! good luck! john
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:01 PM   #3

Hi John,

This is Connie from RMS. I spoke to you when you came to take school pictures. I am just now getting to log onto this site. I will bring my camera to the training. I am going to try what you explained to me tomorrow night at the football game. Hopefully I will get some nicer pictures.

Thank you
Old Sep 11, 2007, 5:41 AM   #4

hey connie,

cool! you joined the site. also at night time you will to turn up your iso. the lights at most football fields are not very good! also at that high iso, unfortunatly you will get alot noise(very grainy looking) you might want to download neat image or noise ninja. good luck john!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 8:15 AM   #5

Connie,

Welcome to Steves and to the Sports forum. I just wanted to provide a word of caution based on your post - seems you are planning on shooting a night football game. I wanted to caution you that you are jumping into the deep, deep end of difficult sports shooting situations. Nighttime football is probably the toughest sport to shoot because the distances are so great, the light is so poor and the kids are wearing helmets which causes shadows. It's a demanding chore even with the best pro equipment. My warning isn't meant to discourage you. Just to make sure you keep your expectations in check. Don't get too down on yourself becaus the keeper rate is low.

As John mentioned, you want to get out of the sports mode. Shooting in aperture priority (AV) mode is the easiest way to start. As John mentioned, set AV to it's lowest f-stop depending on what lens you have. Start your ISO out at 800. Take some test shots of the players. Look at the shutter speeds your camera gave you. If they're below 1/320 (i.e. 1/250 is below 1/320) then set the ISO up to 1600.

The sad reality is: unless you have the best lit HS field in the country, if you're using a kit lens you probably won't be able to get any usable shots in the second half - even in the second quarter it will be tough. So try and get your photos in the first quarter while you still have some natural light.

There's a lot more to go throug but this will get you started for your first game. After you've shot a game post a couple of photos and we here can help you learn more each time. As mentioned, this is a difficult task and there is a lot to learn so don't get too down if your shots don't look as good as you expect after just one game.

Good luck tonight and have fun!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:32 AM   #6

John,

Thank you for the feedback and a late Happy Birthday to ya. Same day as my mom

Connie
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:41 PM   #7

yearbook advisor wrote:
Quote:
John,

Thank you for the feedback and a late Happy Birthday to ya. Same day as my mom