Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 12, 2007, 5:44 AM   #1

Here is a picture I took last night at our football game. It was rainy so I didn't get to get may GOOD pics of the football players. I sat in the stands with my 3 year old daughter. I couldn't be on the side lines.
Attached Images

yearbook advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:50 AM   #2

Nice timing and good framing, but the image is a little too soft. You want the face to be in focus. The soft focus could be caused either by framing too loosely and cropping down or because the focus point did not remain on her face the entire time and the camera instead focused on something else or because you didn't give the camera time to acquire the subject before taking the shot. Or it could be motion blur because you only had 1/250 shutter speed.

How heavily did you crop the original photo?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 1:47 PM   #3

Great timing! I shot cheerleaders for the first time last weekend and found 1/400 to be too slow. I was shocked but these girls move quickly as they flip! LOL. Im sure "the Drop" in your picture wouldnt necessitate more than 1/400 so Im thinking a little too much cropping? Not criticizing...just trying to see if Im learning to diagnose different situations, hope you understand.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 1:14 PM   #4

This looks to be a bit of a heavy crop, thus some softness as JohnG pointed out.

Timing is "perfect". The season is still young. I am sure other opportunities will lend itself for you to get better and better results.

As JohnG mentioned earlier get as many shots as you can early on in the game.

If you can get away with 1/1000 sec shutter speed I would try more at that and then dial down to see what you can get to freeze the action.

You did very well due to the conditions and the vantage (disadvantage)point in which you could get this shot.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:54 PM   #5

I will post the picture as I took it with out any photoshop revisions. I was taking pictures of the boys on the field an looked to the side and saw that she was going up in the air. So I turned and snaped the picture. I don't remember what I had the camera set on. I tried different shots that night on different settings to see what types of pictures I could get.
Attached Images

yearbook advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:31 PM   #6

definitely not too much of a crop - just a mis-focus. Happens to all of us
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote