Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:06 PM   #11
TG

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
there is no one on here who has it nailed (you need to go to other forums for that) but this is a good place to learn as we are all keen!!
Speek for yourself Mark :-)
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:10 PM   #12
Super Moderator

TG wrote:
Quote:
Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
there is no one on here who has it nailed (you need to go to other forums for that) but this is a good place to learn as we are all keen!!
Speek for yourself Mark :-)
Oops my mistake, Tom never misses a shot, but he is an exception!! LOL
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:17 PM   #13

I tried out Shutter priority just before I left on Tuesday and I'm getting nearer the standard I'm after.

1/125:

Shakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:21 PM   #14
Super Moderator

I use either shutter priority or manual for motorsport, never aperture priority. This is pretty much the only time I would say this, all other sports I use Av or manual and never shutter priority. That last one works well!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:30 PM   #15
TG

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Oops my mistake, Tom never misses a shot, but he is an exception!! LOL
Maybe I was being a bit arrogant not Perfect but Very Goodfor a weekendhack:-)
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:34 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Can't tell if you were being arrogant as this is a text based forum so can easily misconstrue what someone says. You are producing some of the best car shots on Steve's that's for sure. Outside of Steve's there are some geniuses behind the camera shooting motorsport but they also probably do it full time unlike the rest of us. That being the case still more to learn
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:39 PM   #17
TG

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I use either shutter priority or manual for motorsport, never aperture priority. This is pretty much the only time I would say this, all other sports I use Av or manual and never shutter priority. That last one works well!
These are same settings I use when shooting motorsport, manual is very good when shooting cars in low light with lights on as the metering often gets fooled by the lights. The only time I use aperture priority wiih motor sport is when shooting through a mesh fence so I get a shallow depth of fieldand then I control my shutter speed with low ISO speeds and orND filters.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:42 PM   #18
Super Moderator

TG wrote:
Quote:
The only time I use aperture priority wiih motor sport is when shooting through a mesh fence so I get a shallow depth of fieldand then I control my shutter speed with low ISO speeds and orND filters.
That's helpful, I've never shot through mesh so not considered it so will keep it in mind if I ever have the need.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:54 PM   #19
TG

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Can't tell if you were being arrogant as this is a text based forum so can easily misconstrue what someone says. You are producing some of the best car shots on Steve's that's for sure. Outside of Steve's there are some geniuses behind the camera shooting motorsport but they also probably do it full time unlike the rest of us. That being the case still more to learn
I should be a bit more humble not Very Good just Good.

Seriously this forum is a great place to learn as the people are very friendly and willing to share there knowledge not like some other forums.

Mark is great example of this, he is always replying to posts helping people out with his knowledge and experience.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:59 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Dude stop talking now otherwise you will soon be a terrible photographer if you keep reducing your ability level!! LOL Seriously I would put you in the very good level of motorsport and it is encouraging that you always push the envelope such as you 1/13th shots shown recently.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It is great that you are not shooting for money otherwise you would sell yourself out on conservative technique like me to ensure you are getting saleable shots rather than the best possible but reducing the hit rate.