Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 19, 2007, 4:54 AM   #1

With my Nikon D80; in the past I've used the Sigma 70-300mm APO, and now using the 18-200mm VR. I also have a Hoya Pro1D UV filter attached on the end.

Both have produced some really cracking shots, as well as having some really bad moments, where I just can't get it right. :roll:

Ifind that I can get better photos in not so bright conditions, and bright/very brightconditions make it more difficult. This is making me think to get a Neutral Density filter.

I'm considering the Nikon AF-S 80-200mm F2.8 to improve the quality of my photos taken in dull conditions. In fact, it'd be very handy as I'm almost a regular at the Nürburgring and UK track days quite often have dull conditions, too lol! :lol:

I'd like to hear from all you guys regarding the above and your experiences.

Thanks!

Shakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:52 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I think the 80-200 f2.8 is a very good choice as you will find faster focus speeds and being f2.8 should be quite a bit more accurate as well. If you are looking to save some money then the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 is a good option, this is the lens I use and is only really let down at 200mm f2.8 where it is quite soft but stopping down (as you would for most motorsport) it gives great results.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"When using the Nikon (if you go that route) then you will want to use a monopod as it is not a light beast.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:33 PM   #3

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I think the 80-200 f2.8 is a very good choice as you will find faster focus speeds and being f2.8 should be quite a bit more accurate as well. If you are looking to save some money then the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 is a good option, this is the lens I use and is only really let down at 200mm f2.8 where it is quite soft but stopping down (as you would for most motorsport) it gives great results.

When using the Nikon (if you go that route) then you will want to use a monopod as it is not a light beast.
More than likely go with Nikon. If my previous Sigma APO is anything to go by (as much as the shots were pretty good!), it'll be quite slow compared to the Nikon.

Not handled one yet but I'll see how I fair with good old human energy, firstlol.
Shakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:37 PM   #4
Super Moderator

It is the better beast than the Sigma. I've used the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 when I was using Konica Minolta and then when switching to Canon it was one of the first lenses I got. For the price you can't go far wrong but if you have budget you won't be sorry you went for the Nikon.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote