Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:46 PM   #1

I have been asked by a friend to take some pictures during a volleyball game. I have a Nikon D50 with a Sigma 18-200 3.5-6.3 and a Nikkor 50mm 1.8. I have been reading around in this forum for info. It seems like I need a 2.8 lens in the 135-185mm to do a good job. I am not going to buy a new lens for this. I am going to make due with what I have. This is a jr. college game and the coach is the person who asked me to take the pictures. I am assuming I will have access to any location near the court that a press photographer would have. Will a 50mm lens be the way to go? Or will I be better off with the zoom lens? I don't know if they allow for flash photography.
stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:18 PM   #2

I would recommend the 50mm 1.8. I also shoot volleyball with a D50 and an 85mm 1.8 and have pretty good results. I also own a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 and have not been quite so successful. Actually,I've often wished for a 50mm 1.8 to capture the hitters on the near side of the court.The 85mm is too much when the hitter is right in front of me. I guess there's no harm in taking both and trying them out during warmups, but I'm betting you get better results with the faster lens.

Greg
gredan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:54 PM   #3

Thanks.

I saw your pictures in an earlier post.
Where are you typically standing with the 85mm?
What is your typical ISO and exposure settings with that lens?

I am going to continue to look around and see what makes for good volleyball shots. Any suggested volleyball websites that have good pictures?

I asked the coach if a flash could be used....she did not know.

What is the usual rule with a flash for volleyball pictures during a game?

stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 4:20 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I use my 85mm f1.8 as being a Canon user the 50mm f1.8 does not focus fast enough. Focus speed on top of the fast glass (low f number) is what is needed.

As for where to look for ideas check out http://www.gettyimages.com/Editorial/Sports.aspx

http://espn.go.com/

http://www.biggirlinthemiddle.com

and lastly http://www.volleyball-pictures.com/default.tpl

That should keep you going for the next year!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 7:01 AM   #5

stevem1928 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks.

I saw your pictures in an earlier post.
Where are you typically standing with the 85mm?
What is your typical ISO and exposure settings with that lens?

I am going to continue to look around and see what makes for good volleyball shots. Any suggested volleyball websites that have good pictures?

I asked the coach if a flash could be used....she did not know.

What is the usual rule with a flash for volleyball pictures during a game?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I usually stand near the up ref, but I move to the corners to get better shots of the hitters'faces. Unfortunately you need a little more reach than my 85mm to do a great job from there.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The highest ISO I have is 1600 and that's what I use all the time. I keep the aperture wide open, which gives me about 1/500 to 1/800 sec shutter speed, depending on the gym light. Those settings are marginal for freezing action, but that's all I can do.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I don't know if there are any firm rules about using flash during a match. I guess it depends on complaints from the team or ref. I've seen people doing it, but I never have personally.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you decide to not use flash, I would recommend using your 50mm and stay near the net. I think you can get quite a bit of the action from there without a long lens. Good luck. Post a few shots afterward to show us what you get.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Greg
gredan is offline   Reply With Quote