Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:13 AM   #1

Last night, I ran into a situation I hadn't seen before.....inconsistent white balance. I started off by setting a custom white balance, but shots were all over the spectrum. I switched to auto white balance, but there was still noticable difference from shot to shot.

All shots were taken with the same lens in Aperture priority mode with a Takumar 2.8 135mm MF lens. ISO was 1600 on each shot with exposure compensation at -0.3 to get shutter speeds up to 1/320 to 1/500.

Post processing was simple levels adjustment and USM. Ideas?

BTW, I was happy that I caught my first blocked kick....an extra point that preserved a tie score with 3:00 to go in the game...

All ideas, comments, criticism, and suggestions welcome.

(Edited to correct posting problem)

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:49 AM   #2

I had an experience like this shooting basketball in a gym that was using metal halide lights. Some of the shots I got came out either greenish or redish/ orange very inconsistant WB.

On older fields or gyms when light bulbs get replaced sometimes the maintenance crews don't replace the light bulbs with the same kind of light bulbs. Different manufactures either use different color glass or a bulb with a slight variation of metal that will burn at a different color.

The only thing I would suggest it to shoot in one area of the field where you'll get some degree of consistency, or use be ready to change your WB for different parts of the field. Or better yet shoot RAW
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:25 AM   #3

I've always wondered how the Trojans would do against the Rams – or any pro team for that matter.

It isn't that unusual for auto WB to be off a little under some artificial lighting. I'm surprised the custom WB didn't work for you though. Was the field lighting on the white paper with nothing else in the frame?

I don't see a big difference in WB between the first two shots. All of them seem to have the color temp too high and I think a single color temp or WB adjustment applied to all of them would give decent results. If you are using Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro you can make a script or action that will probably work for all of them. If you are using Elements you have to do it one picture at a time.

The first one was done in Photoshop with a WB adjustment. The second in Paint Shop Pro with a color temp adjustment. I applied a little noise reduction in the first one – the second could use it selectively as well.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 4:12 PM   #4

slipe, I had some problems posting (my fault--not the forum's) and I don't think the colors were represented well by popping them into different windows. Perhaps you can see more of the difference when they are side by side, as they are now.

Where is the Color Temp slider in Paint Shop Pro? I looked for it, and stumbled onto the Fade Correction tool. Here's the result on it.

Attached Images

Old Sep 22, 2007, 4:14 PM   #5

Noise wasn't so much of a problem as the tint. Here is another with Fade Correction applied.
Attached Images