Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:30 AM   #11

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
With a 50mm you will want to be on the sidelines and shoot within about 10-15ft of you for best results. You can go further but the focus will likely be soft and you are getting a wide view of the action.
And, I don't stand....I sit on the court.....for two reasons. The first is to get a lower shooting angle and the second is consideration for spectators. Often, I will sit right under and behind the referee on the side of the court opposite the scorer's bench.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:17 AM   #12

Yep that balcony is the spot. It's on 3 sides of the gym (although 1 side has stands open so can't really shoot from there).

Because the girls really aren't jumping very high I found the best placing up top was right near the net line. But, the problem then is distance. As you've already found out, ISO 1600 and f2.8 is going to have a lot of motion blur. This is one of the darker high school gyms I shoot in (1/3 to 1/2 stop darker) thus my use of ISO 6400 to get properly exposed faces and a decent shutter speed.

Oh, and volleyball is about 2/3 over here - I just haven't gotten around to shooting it until now :G This fall has been busy with other things so I haven't been able to shoot as many sporting events as I would have liked
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:55 PM   #13

John, great stuff again! As a former volleyball player, I especially like your volleyball shots and I've benefitted from your examples. My favorites volleyball shots are those with the setter just releasing the ball and the hitter winding up for the kill.

By the way,a jump set is a HUGE weapon if the setter can get over the net and the hitter hits it immediately after it leaves her hands. It's a beautiful thing. You see it much more often in the men's game.

Greg
gredan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:06 AM   #14

gredan wrote:
Quote:
By the way,a jump set is a HUGE weapon if the setter can get over the net and the hitter hits it immediately after it leaves her hands. It's a beautiful thing. You see it much more often in the men's game.

Greg
Greg, yeah I could see that - but this girl is really only getting about a foot off the ground. Thanks for the info and taking time to look.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:31 PM   #15

Mark1616,
What do you mean by the focus will be soft?

One thing I have noticed with the lens......it has 20' as the max focus distance, then it goes to infinity. Does that mean anything I shoot over 20' will use the infiinity focus......If so, would it be a good idea to just set the lens on manual focus and leave it at infinity, if I am 20' away? That will prevent focus lag??? Is this right or wrong thinking?

stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:14 PM   #16

Uniform # 10 looks like she can fly!
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:28 AM   #17
Super Moderator

stevem1928 wrote:
Quote:
Mark1616,
What do you mean by the focus will be soft?

One thing I have noticed with the lens......it has 20' as the max focus distance, then it goes to infinity. Does that mean anything I shoot over 20' will use the infiinity focus......If so, would it be a good idea to just set the lens on manual focus and leave it at infinity, if I am 20' away? That will prevent focus lag??? Is this right or wrong thinking?
A lens will have distances where is it strong then as you go out towards infinity they get softer when using wide apertures. Unfortunately you can't go for MF and just leaving it as you still have a narrow (ish) focus point so unless you are very lucky you will miss every time. From my experience of a 50mm it is up to 15' where you can get the lens to focus well (not forgetting a 50 was pretty much designed for portraits). Another problem with going further is the players are not filling the frame so you are losing detail which is killer at high ISO settings.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:01 AM   #18

Gee, thanks for bringing up indoor sports-poor, uneven lighting, fast action, precision focusing, etc...After enjoying a summer's worth of unlimited f stop and shutter speed options, Im just not ready togo indoors with my present limitations. LOLMan, that camera is STRONG at 6400! It must be nice to have that instantaneous auto focus and the luxury of low noise at those ISOs. If I HAD to pick a fav...I choose #5...That girl has some ups!
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:14 AM   #19

DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
Man, that camera is STRONG at 6400! It must be nice to have that instantaneous auto focus and the luxury of low noise at those ISOs.
Well, the autofocus was the main reason I wanted to upgrade to Canon's 1-series. If they hadn't released a mkIII I would have bought the MKII-N.

As far as high ISOs, it looks like Nikon and Sony have stepped up their game and are going to be offering some extremely good high ISO performance - as well as the 6400 option. Not to beat a dead horse but Canon really dropped the ball on this go-around (keeping 6400 in 1 series only as well as the pro focus system). From tests so far I'd say the mkIII has about 1 1/3 stops better noise than my 20d had. Unfortunately by some accounts, the noise levels on the 40d are slightly worse than the 30d or the same at best.

Also, back on topic here :G- as you might expect the noise performance is worse with darker colors. For instance, my football shots at 6400 aren't as good. There are more shadows in general and a lot more dark areas. It's still better than the 3200 on my 20d but not as usable as it was in my vollyball shots. But what I REALLY like is incremental ISO from 1600 to 3200. There is a noticable benefit to going from 1/400 to 1/500 with very little noise gain from ISO 1600 to 2000. So for indoor sports that is HUGE for me.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:24 AM   #20

"[shadow=red]It's still better than the 3200 on my 20d but not as usable as it was in my vollyball shots. But what I REALLY like is incremental ISO from 1600 to 3200. There is a noticable benefit to going from 1/400 to 1/500 with very little noise gain from ISO 1600 to 2000. So for indoor sports that is HUGE for me.[/shadow]

With my current setup, if I have a gym that requires a 1600 ISO, Im on the bleachers enjoying the game. So the fact that you can go up incrementaly to 3200 AND have a VERY usable 6400...itd be like a "get out of jail free card" for me!

DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote